Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Brett Palmer <br...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/24 05:21:23 UTC

Re: Database Test Suite

Sorry,  there has not been a lot of work done on the JXUnit stuff
since its original creation.  The JXUnit project did not get a lot of
support on sourceforge and the original contributors moved on to other
projects.

I continued to use the ofbiz jxunit code for some of my own projects
but creating data driven tests were still difficult to create and
maintain.

Over the past year, I have been working with a different framework
called grinder (http://grinder.sourceforge.net/).  There have been a
few posts on the subject from David Jones and Al Byers.  Al has
recently been working on it and we have shared some ideas on how to
make it effective for ofbiz.

Here are some of the features that I like about grinder:

- Uses Jython as a the scripting language to implement tests.  This
makes it easier to create new tests without having to compile and
deploy each time.
- TCP Proxy listener to capture web requests and generates a test
script.  This script can then be modified to be more dynamic
- Ability to simulate multiple clients with various load and frequency options

Here are some things that are missing and what Al and I have been discussing:

- Need to be able to separate data from the test
- Need to develop some jython utilities that can read in a common XML
(or something else) format for a test and pass the data to the jython
test script

Al and David can probably share some of their ideas on testing.  We
need to have more test tools but it is always a matter of priorities
and everyone is always busy with other tasks.

Thoughts?

Brett

Re: Database Test Suite

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
John, this is exactly what I used DbUnit (http://www.dbunit.org/) for in
the past.  You can drive this from Ant or thru code, so it's as flexible
as you need it to be.

Check out some of the information up on their site - as well as this
(slightly dated) article written about them -
http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2004/01/21/dbunit.html .  What we did
was extend their DatabaseTestCase and load and clear data based upon the
test case or test suite that we were running - using dynamically
generated resource paths based upon the package and class names of the
files.

If you're interested and I can be of help - I'm here to answer more Q's

Cheers,
Tim

--
Tim Ruppert
HotWax Media

o:801.649.6594
f:801.649.6595

Re: Database Test Suite

Posted by John Martin <pb...@gmail.com>.
Intelligent meaning that the teardown logic could refer to the test
data XML and perform the cleanup.  The XML probably would need some
syntax for the clean up.  It would be a nice feature if you could
disable the teardown so that you could visually inspect the data and
then invoke the teardown on demand to do the cleanup.

Re: Database Test Suite

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.
On Oct 24, 2006, at 6:42 PM, John Martin wrote:

> Setting up the service and using transactions sound like a good idea.
> The only negative that I see initially is that some times inspecting
> the data visually is quite helpful to see what is going on.  In that
> case, you have to let the transaction commit and then manually clean
> up the mess.
>
> Perhaps we could use the XML data import from with the build up method
> and the tear-down could intellegently remove data from the XML.  Any
> thoughts on that?

Just one: depending on the approach you take it's either really hard
to do, or requires a very large overhead and only somewhat hard to do
(which might be okay for test environments). Either way, it requires
defining exactly what you want, including the granularity of changes
you want to deal with. The tough part is the "intelligent" part...
what would that mean?

-David

Re: Database Test Suite

Re: Database Test Suite

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.
John,

Okay, that's a good distinction. You're not looking for regression or
system wide tests, which generally take enough time to run that
building a test database (about 3 minutes on Derby on my laptop) is
not a significant amount of time.

For quick tests like this I'd recommend creating test services that
do the build up, code run, and results test all at once and then just
roll back the transaction to do the cleanup. This tends to work
fairly well and leverages existing transaction functionality that is
pretty solid and does the "undo" easily. This is a lot easier than
trying to save the state of the db and restoring it in the tear down.
Of course, if you're not worried about developer efficiency, then
code away and have a good time... ;)

-David

Re: Database Test Suite

Posted by John Martin <pb...@gmail.com>.
Hi David,

Re: Database Test Suite

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.
John,

Re: Database Test Suite

Re: Database Test Suite

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Brett, I've looked into Grinder earlier this year (albeit only for an
hour or so) and was pleasantly surprised by it.  We used something
called qftestJUI (http://www.qfs.de/en/qftestJUI/index.html) while
developing a swing front end to a J2EE app - which had a lot of the
record and playback stuff that we were looking for.

Grinder seems to give you a lot of that, but some additional load
testing stuff as well. Is that about right?  Does anyone know how
Grinder compares to Selinium and it's new Firefox plugin?

Cheers,
Tim

--
Tim Ruppert