Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by mjustin <mi...@gmx.net> on 2009/02/07 11:10:31 UTC

ProducerTool hangs after 312 messages with --messageSize=2000 --messageCount=500

For performance tests on Windows (XP Home SP 3) and AMQ 5.2 (and 5.3
Snapshot), I used the Java ProducerTool with higher values for the
messageSize and messageCount.

I have found that the tool repeatedly "hangs" if I use these increased
values.

After browsing the ActiveMQ docs I realized that this problem can be fixed
by using the persistent flag and setting timeToLive to a low (non-zero)
value. With these additional parameters, I am able to run the ProducerTool
test repeatedly with high values for messageSize and messageCount without
any problems.

Now to the real problem: using my STOMP Delphi implementation, I encounter
the same problem, but here it is not possible to fix it using persistent
messages and reduced time to live. The send times out after a couple of
messages. (But only with high values for size/count).

To examine this, I would like to use the Java implementation of the STOMP
client, but it does not receive the CONNECTED frame after sending the
CONNECT frame. I will try to use other STOMP clients too, maybe I can find a
problem in my own STOMP client.

Re: ProducerTool hangs after 312 messages with --messageSize=2000 --messageCount=500

Posted by mjustin <mi...@gmx.net>.

Bill Schuller wrote:

> Do you have a consumer on the destination you are sending to?

Many thanks for your answer! For my test, I use a default installation of
ActiveMQ 5.2 or a 5.3 snapshot. There are no other clients, and no
consumers. The main problem however that there is a difference between the
STOMP and the native (TCP). If I configure the messages with short
expiration and persistent flag, I can solve the problem only using the TCP
protocol, not with STOMP. I will do some more tests, and come back if I find
something.

Regards,
Michael Justin

Re: ProducerTool hangs after 312 messages with --messageSize=2000 --messageCount=500

Posted by Bill Schuller <Bi...@intuit.com>.
Do you have a consumer on the destination you are sending to? I¹ll guess
that your problem is that your queue size is limited by something like
<policyEntry queue=">" memoryLimit="5mb"/> with paging disabled. Once the
destination reaches the limit, it blocks the consumer and it times out.
Setting the TTL causes the messages to expire, freeing up room in the
destination, allowing the producer to send more messages. Is this the case?

On 2/7/09 4:10 AM, "mjustin" <mi...@gmx.net> wrote:

> For performance tests on Windows (XP Home SP 3) and AMQ 5.2 (and 5.3
> Snapshot), I used the Java ProducerTool with higher values for the
> messageSize and messageCount.
>
> I have found that the tool repeatedly "hangs" if I use these increased
> values.
>
> After browsing the ActiveMQ docs I realized that this problem can be fixed
> by using the persistent flag and setting timeToLive to a low (non-zero)
> value. With these additional parameters, I am able to run the ProducerTool
> test repeatedly with high values for messageSize and messageCount without
> any problems.
>

> Now to the real problem: using my STOMP Delphi implementation, I encounter
> the same problem, but here it is not possible to fix it using persistent
> messages and reduced time to live. The send times out after a couple of
> messages. (But only with high values for size/count).
>

> To examine this, I would like to use the Java implementation of the STOMP
> client, but it does not receive the CONNECTED frame after sending the
> CONNECT frame. I will try to use other STOMP clients too, maybe I can find a
> problem in my own STOMP client.

---
Bill Schuller, Service Foundations Engineering, Intuit Inc.