Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jay Lessik <jo...@yahoo.ca> on 2006/03/24 16:19:55 UTC

Recommended Subversion Repository Structure

I'm new to subversion so forgive me if this question
is newbie-ish...

I know that project repository structure has been
discussed on this list and I've read a lot of the
posts, but I wasn't able to find a clear answer to the
question of which of the following is better?

repository/
    projectA/
        trunk/
        branches/
        tags/
    projectB/
        trunk/
        branches/
        tags/

OR...

repository/
    trunk/
        projectA/
	projectB/
    branches/
        projectA/
	projectB/
    tags/
        projectA/
	projectB/

The documentation recommends the first structure as do
a lot of other sites and people on this list, but this
post
(http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2005-04/1870.shtml)
seems to recommend the second structure and lists some
good reasons...  Would using the second structure
cause problems down the road?  I don't want to have to
reorganize my repository later when I find out I can't
do something or something isn't working properly...

Thanks!

Re: Recommended Subversion Repository Structure

Posted by Kalin KOZHUHAROV <ka...@thinrope.net>.
Blair Zajac wrote:

> On Mar 24, 2006, at 8:19 AM, Jay Lessik wrote:
>
>> I'm new to subversion so forgive me if this question
>> is newbie-ish...
>>
>> I know that project repository structure has been
>> discussed on this list and I've read a lot of the
>> posts, but I wasn't able to find a clear answer to the
>> question of which of the following is better?
>>
>> repository/
>>     projectA/
>>         trunk/
>>         branches/
>>         tags/
>>     projectB/
>>         trunk/
>>         branches/
>>         tags/
>>
>> OR...
>>
>> repository/
>>     trunk/
>>         projectA/
>>     projectB/
>>     branches/
>>         projectA/
>>     projectB/
>>     tags/
>>         projectA/
>>     projectB/
>
> I had the later structure for a while at
> http://www.orcaware.com/svn/repos/ but I reorganized the repository to
> the first.  It's just odd having your trunk separated from its branches
> and tags that far in the repository, especially when the different
> projects are not related.  So I recommend going for the first.
>
> You can see everything related that one project in the project*
> directory without having to go into other locations.  It's also nice for
> browsing.

And when $number_of_devs >= 1 and you have teams, and you have authorization in place,
it is usually more natural to go with what is suggested in the manual (the first).

When you are alone - it does not matter that much. And the names ('trunk', 'branches')
are completely suggestive only.

Adding my 2 yen to the discussion ;-)

Kalin.

--
|[ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ]|
+-> http://ThinRope.net/ <-+

Re: Recommended Subversion Repository Structure

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
On Mar 24, 2006, at 8:19 AM, Jay Lessik wrote:

> I'm new to subversion so forgive me if this question
> is newbie-ish...
>
> I know that project repository structure has been
> discussed on this list and I've read a lot of the
> posts, but I wasn't able to find a clear answer to the
> question of which of the following is better?
>
> repository/
>     projectA/
>         trunk/
>         branches/
>         tags/
>     projectB/
>         trunk/
>         branches/
>         tags/
>
> OR...
>
> repository/
>     trunk/
>         projectA/
> 	projectB/
>     branches/
>         projectA/
> 	projectB/
>     tags/
>         projectA/
> 	projectB/

I had the later structure for a while at http://www.orcaware.com/svn/
repos/ but I reorganized the repository to the first.  It's just odd
having your trunk separated from its branches and tags that far in
the repository, especially when the different projects are not
related.  So I recommend going for the first.

You can see everything related that one project in the project*
directory without having to go into other locations.  It's also nice
for browsing.

Regards,
Blair

--