Posted to user@shale.apache.org by Kito Mann <ki...@virtua.com> on 2009/05/01 20:28:26 UTC

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Shale To Move To the Attic

Hello Cyril,

The Orchestra ViewController can definitely handle this. See:
http://myfaces.apache.org/orchestra/myfaces-orchestra-core/viewController.html
.

I'm not too familiar with the <s:subview> tag -- how does that work?

---
Kito D. Mann -- Author, JavaServer Faces in Action
http://twitter.com/kito99  http://twitter.com/jsfcentral
http://www.virtua.com - JSF/Java EE consulting, training, and mentoring
http://www.JSFCentral.com - JavaServer Faces FAQ, news, and info
+1 203-404-4848 x3

Posted by Cyril Bouteille <cy...@travelmuse.com>.
It provides the missing C in MVC of JSF for GET requests.  :-) A hook in
the JSP where you can declare which managed bean should be initialized
for rendering.
Typically high in your JSP, <s:subview id="name-of-your-bean"> would
call NameOfYourBean.prerender() event. Each page is in control of what
beans it needs w/o maintaining any additional mapping file or worry
about URLs or having to recompile java on changes. It provides you also
with the flexibility to do conditional initialization with verbatims etc.
I'll check your link, thanks. It looks like the hook is the other
direction with orchestra where the bean maps to JSPs.

Posted by Kito Mann <ki...@virtua.com>.
FYI, I wrote a new blog entry about this:
http://blogs.jsfcentral.com/editorsdesk/entry/shale_in_the_attic
---

Posted by Kito Mann <ki...@virtua.com>.
On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 2:51 PM, Cyril Bouteille <cy...@travelmuse.com>wrote:

>  It provides the missing C in MVC of JSF for GET requests. :-) A hook in
> the JSP where you can declare which managed bean should be initialized for
> rendering.
> Typically high in your JSP, <s:subview id="name-of-your-bean"> would call
> NameOfYourBean.prerender() event. Each page is in control of what beans it
> needs w/o maintaining any additional mapping file or worry about URLs. It
> provides you also with the flexibility to do conditional initialization with
> verbatims etc.
> I'll check your link, thanks. It looks like the hook is the other direction
> with orchestra where the bean maps to JSPs.

Ah, I see. Nice. FYI, the phaseListener feature in JSF 1.2 is more
fine-grained than I mentioned; you can reference a specific method via a
method expression for beforePhase and afterPhase. See
http://java.sun.com/javaee/javaserverfaces/1.2_MR1/docs/tlddocs/f/view.html.