Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Jim Hurley <ji...@mac.com> on 2008/01/31 15:55:09 UTC

My new path...

A number of people have contacted me to ask why
my sun.com email address has been bouncing for
them of late, so I thought it would be best to openly
address it in case others had questions.  Sorry for the
wide broadcast.

I have recently taken an opportunity at a Boston -area
high tech startup company - it was the right time for me,
and an exciting opportunity.  As for my Jini/JavaSpaces/River
project and community involvement going forward, I still
plan to be involved, but not at the level I have been.  Like
many of you, I'm sure, I'll be looking to make time on nights
and weekends to participate and contribute.

At this personal transition point, I want to thank Sun (and
especially all of the members of our Jini team over time)
and everyone in the Community for the discussions, successes,
debates, culture, and relationships we've built over the years.
It's been an interesting and exciting ride and something I'm glad
and proud to be a part of.  I look forward to our Community
continuing to build and evolve, and the success of Apache River
and the entire Jini and JavaSpaces Community.

best -Jim

ps. If you're on LinkedIn, it would be great to connect up:
        <http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimhurley>

Re: My new path...

Posted by Sean Landis <se...@gmail.com>.
Jim,
Best of luck to you. You have always been there for the Jini
Community. Thank you and I hope you stay involved.

Sean

Re: My new path...

Posted by Mark Hodapp <Ma...@Sun.COM>.
Apache River and Incubator teams,

Many thanks to Jim Hurley for his many contributions to Jini
Technology and Apache River.  We wish him the best in his new
venture.   While we will miss Jim at Sun, we look forward to working
with him on Apache River.

Congratulations to the Apache River team members for finishing AR1!
We are hopeful that Apache River will be a successful Apache Incubator
project.   We are encouraged by the teamwork and accomplishments
during Apache River's first year.

Successful incubator projects require a diversity of committers,
leadership and on-going work.  Sun has supplied access to Jini
Technology, early project leadership, engineers, testing and release
engineering for AR1.  We will provide some of the AR2 engineering
resources and help to cultivate additional Apache River committers.
To be successful, though, Apache River will need others to step into
leadership, release engineering, testing and quality assurance roles.
If you have been interested in taking up some of these
responsibilities, now is the time to speak up and get involved.

Regards,

Mark Hodapp
Advanced Technology Group
Sun Microsystems