Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Josias Thoeny <jo...@wyona.com> on 2005/10/20 09:23:12 UTC

Re: Q for Michael Wechner (& other lenya devs) Why XML files and not Database?

On Thu, 2005-10-20 at 16:06 +1000, Michael Ralston wrote:
> I've always wondered with lenya, why did you choose to implement all backend
> storage as xml files? I've been doing some work on making database backends
> for users, groups etc. Before I went any further I wanted to find out
> straight from the horses mouth what you believe the advantages are of the
> current xml file based system.

The structure of websites is usually hierarchical, which can be modelled
more naturally with a hierarchical data storage such as the filesystem,
opposed to databases which are normally flat.
That may have been one reason to choose the filesystem.
Another thing is that databases involve some overhead, whereas the usage
of the fs is very straightforward. And for most original requirements of
Lenya, the fs is actually sufficient.

> Where is lenya 1.4 going with this? Will any of it's data storage be moved
> from File IO to something else?

The Lenya community is currently working on the integration of Lenya 1.4
and JSR-170, the Java Content Repository (see e.g. [1] or [2]).
The goal of this integration is to have the advantages of a database,
coupled with a hierarchical storage facility.

- Josias

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/jackrabbit/
[2] http://www.day.com/site/en/index/Technology/jsr170.html