Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Karol Sikora <ka...@laboratorium.ee> on 2013/03/08 13:49:45 UTC

High QTime when wildcards in hl.fl are used

Hi all,

I'm currently stumbling with following case:
I have indexed documents with fileds named like fulltext_[some id].
I'm testing highlighting on document which have only one that field,
fulltext_1234.
When 'fulltext_*' is provided as hl.fl, QTime is horribly big (> 10s),
when explicit 'fulltext_1234' is provided, QTime is acceptable (~30ms).
I've found that using widlcards in hl.fl can increase QTime (
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11774508/optimize-solr-highlighter),
but it definitly should not cost so much.

I'm using fastVectorHighliter in both cases.
Any ideas why using wildcards cause such big QTimes? Maybe there is
workaround?

--

Karol Sikora
+48 781 493 788

Laboratorium EE
ul. Mokotowska 46A/23 | 00-543 Warszawa |
www.laboratorium.ee | www.laboratorium.ee/facebook

Re: High QTime when wildcards in hl.fl are used

Posted by Karol Sikora <ka...@laboratorium.ee>.
I've found more interesting informations about using
fastVectorHighlighting combined with highlighted fields with wildcards
after testing on isolated group of documents with text content.
fvh + fulltext_*: QTime ~4s (!)
fvh + fulltext_1234: QTime ~50ms
no fvh + fulltext_*: QTime ~600ms
no fvh + fulltext_1234: QTime ~500ms.

As we can see very long query times as associated with using fvh
combined with wildcarded hl.fl.
In source code I found that fields to highlight when we using wildcards
are computed by regex in loop through fields returned by query in
document, so I this case, when I have only one fileld that is matching
given pattern it should be no diference between using wildcards and not.

Any ideas?