Posted to dev@whirr.apache.org by Alex Heneveld <al...@cloudsoftcorp.com> on 2012/03/20 02:14:30 UTC

Re: maven version / resolution problem (was "problems building yarn?")

Thanks for the feedback.

This is working now, but took a couple of attempts.  I suspect either
repo availability problem or a maven-on-ubuntu version problem (maven2
versions) wrt hadoop-client's pom.

On a side note I wonder whether yarn could use default ${hadoop.version}
-- currently it is hard-coded against 0.23.1 for hadoop-client scope
test; whereas /pom.xml declares 0.20.205.0 for most things hadoop.

BTW here are the facts of the build problem, in case it comes up
again/elsewhere:

- wiping .m2/repo/org/apache didn't fix it on the problematic machines
(even whilst wiping that dir _did_ cause a successful build on other
machines)
- there were two problematic machines; both Ubuntu, one Jenkins (maven
3.0.3 allegedly) and one a dev box (out-of-the-box apt-get maven2, not
sure which version)
- doing a manual install of maven 3.0.3 and clean install in yarn dir
seems to fix it

--A

Posted by Tom White <to...@cloudera.com>.
On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 4:14 PM, Andrei Savu <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been able to replicate this today but I was still unable to find an
> workaround.
>
> Could it be possible that the Hadoop 0.23.1 pom file is not compatible with
> maven 2.2.1? Everything seems to be working fine with maven 3? Do we want
> enforce maven 3?

Hadoop 0.23 requires Maven 3, so that could be it. I think we should
enforce Maven 3 for Whirr.

Tom

Posted by Andrei Savu <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Frank Scholten <fr...@frankscholten.nl>.
It works with Maven 3 and when I remove the 0.20.2 Hadoop version.

Posted by Tom White <to...@cloudera.com>.
On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 8:29 AM, Andrei Savu <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I this case do you think it's appropriate to re-open #374?
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WHIRR-374

Yes.

> If we make this decision we can also enable findbugs:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WHIRR-321

That would be great - I keep thinking I'd like to run findbugs then
remembering we can't...

Tom

Posted by Alex Heneveld <al...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
Thanks Tom. +1 maven3 then!

Best,
Alex

Posted by Andrei Savu <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrei Savu <sa...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 5:40 PM, Adrian Cole <ad...@jclouds.org> wrote:

> I suppose since this is the context developers (as opposed to users) we are
> discussing, my thought is extracting the maven zip and exporting variables
> shouldn't weed out too many.

+1

Re: maven version / resolution problem (was "problems building yarn?")

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@jclouds.org>.
I suppose since this is the context developers (as opposed to users) we are
discussing, my thought is extracting the maven zip and exporting variables
shouldn't weed out too many.

Also, maven 3 is far from hot off the press. Any complaints we may get can
be redirected to package repo owners.

Posted by Tom White <to...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Alex Heneveld <al...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.

Posted by Rodrigo Duarte <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrei Savu <sa...@gmail.com>.
Frank,

Posted by Tom White <to...@cloudera.com>.
On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 9:39 AM, Frank Scholten <fr...@frankscholten.nl> wrote:
> I am having problems building the project in IntelliJ.
>
> AbstractHadoopServiceTest in Yarn won't compile
>
> I think it's because of the 4 Hadoop versions listed under External Libraries
>
> 0.20.2
> 0.23.0-cdh4b1
> 0.20.2-cdh3u2
> 0.20.205.0

Having 0.20.2 and 0.20.205.0 looks wrong. Can you remove the
definition of hadoop.version in the YARN POM and see if that helps?

Tom

Posted by Frank Scholten <fr...@frankscholten.nl>.