Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Abhinandan Prateek <ab...@shapeblue.com> on 2015/06/26 13:32:35 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Quota management service for cloudstack

Team,

   Would like to enhance usage server to provide quota management service to cloudstack.
This will provide better control on resource usage; and a common denomination to measure resource usage.
This will be an optional service that can be enabled or disabled as required by the operator.

The detailed discussion is in functional specs here [2]. The corresponding jira ticket is [1].

Please vote so that a decision to include it or not can be taken.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-8592
[2] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Quota+Service+-+FS

Regards,
-abhi

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue SA Pty Ltd is a company registered by The Republic of South Africa and is traded under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Quota management service for cloudstack

Posted by Abhinandan Prateek <ab...@shapeblue.com>.
> On 02-Jul-2015, at 9:51 am, Koushik Das <ko...@citrix.com> wrote:
>

> On 01-Jul-2015, at 4:44 PM, Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com> wrote:
>

>>> On 01-Jul-2015, at 12:31 pm, Koushik Das <ko...@citrix.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I like the concept of quota. But I am thinking whether this should be a core part of CS or developed as a plugin.
>>
>> It will be a separate plugin, not part of the core CS though we may need to refactor the core to allow configurability of features in the plugin.
>
> Please update the FS with the plugin interface and its interaction with the other components once it is finalized.

Updated:

The main quota plugin will be a DB plugin interacting with usage tables mainly and usage server. There will be a UI plugin too, to customise, to manage quotas, to generate reports and to customise email templates.
A new account state will be introduced to represent that the account has run out of the quota. If more granular control is required on resource changing APIs then we will need some kind of classification (annotation) to make the APIs as resource acquiring, resource releasing or query only. At this point we are not planning for such fine grained control but just to mark the account state as "no quota credit" if an account runs out of quota and quota service is enabled.

Posted by Koushik Das <ko...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.

Posted by Koushik Das <ko...@citrix.com>.
I like the concept of quota. But I am thinking whether this should be a core part of CS or developed as a plugin. Cloud coins example given below may be a plugin, based on which decision to allow/disallow operation is made. Another plugin could be to allow/disallow operations based on VM count or say the current storage used in bytes. There should be flexibility to put in a condition of choice by the developer/user. If there are multiple such plugins, an option should be provided to decide the ordering of the plugins (similar to the various host investigators that are available).

-Koushik

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.

Posted by Erik Weber <te...@gmail.com>.

--
Erik

RE: [PROPOSAL] Quota management service for cloudstack

Posted by Rajesh Battala <ra...@citrix.com>.
+1
Nice feature to have

Posted by Abhinandan Prateek <ab...@shapeblue.com>.
> On 01-Jul-2015, at 2:20 pm, sebgoa <ru...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Jun 26, 2015, at 1:32 PM, Abhinandan Prateek <ab...@shapeblue.com> wrote:
>
>> Team,
>>
>>  Would like to enhance usage server to provide quota management service to cloudstack.
>> This will provide better control on resource usage; and a common denomination to measure resource usage.
>> This will be an optional service that can be enabled or disabled as required by the operator.
>>
>> The detailed discussion is in functional specs here [2]. The corresponding jira ticket is [1].
>>
>> Please vote so that a decision to include it or not can be taken.
>>
>> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-8592
>> [2] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Quota+Service+-+FS
>>

> Can you add this to the roadmap wiki page…

Yes, added in the roadmap.

Posted by sebgoa <ru...@gmail.com>.
On Jun 26, 2015, at 1:32 PM, Abhinandan Prateek <ab...@shapeblue.com> wrote:

> Team,
>
>   Would like to enhance usage server to provide quota management service to cloudstack.
> This will provide better control on resource usage; and a common denomination to measure resource usage.
> This will be an optional service that can be enabled or disabled as required by the operator.
>
> The detailed discussion is in functional specs here [2]. The corresponding jira ticket is [1].
>
> Please vote so that a decision to include it or not can be taken.
>
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-8592
> [2] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Quota+Service+-+FS

Can you add this to the roadmap wiki page…

thanks

Posted by Marco Sinhoreli <ma...@shapeblue.com>.
+1

It¹s great to control resources per department in private cloud approach.

Best regards,

Marco Sinhoreli
Consultant Manager

Phone: +55 21 2586 6390 | Fax: +55 21 2586 6002 | Mobile: +55 21 99159
4713 | Mobile: +55 21 98276 3636
Praia de Botafogo 501, bloco 1 - sala 101, Botafogo, Rio de Janeiro, RJ -
Brazil - CEP 22250-040
marco.sinhoreli@shapeblue.com | www.shapeblue.com
<http://www.shapeblue.com/> | Twitter:@shapeBlue
<https://twitter.com/#!/shapeblue>