Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Malka Cymbalista <Ma...@weizmann.ac.il> on 2008/06/22 11:27:26 UTC

graphics in perl

We are running perl 5.8.5 on a Linux machine that is running apache 2.2.6 with mod_perl 2.0.3.  Our data is in a MySQL database (MySQL 5.0.45)

We have been asked to write a web application that requires plotting capabilities.  We do most of our web programming in perl so I am looking for a perl module that has the following features:
1. ability to create histograms
2. ability to create x,y plots
3. ability to zoom in on a portion of the graph
4. ability to calculate the distance between 2  points on the graph
5. ability to hover on a point and bring up some text

Does anyone have any suggestions for which perl modules we should look into?

Thanks for any information.

--

Malka Cymbalista
Webmaster, Weizmann Institute of Science

Re: graphics in perl

Posted by Dodger <el...@gmail.com>.
Uhm, dude... a Perl module won't do that because Perl is a language,
not a display technology.

You're looking for something like Shockwave Flash. Though you can
certainly have Perl generate everything.

--
Dodger

Re: graphics in perl

Posted by Foo JH <jh...@extracktor.com>.
michael watson (IAH-C) wrote:
> Did you try GD::Graph?

GD::Graph is a good graphing tool. It can get quite low-level as well,
so you have to decide which visualiser works for you.

The advantage of GD::Graph is that it'd likely be rendered as a JPEG/
GIF, and that's something you can download and reuse in an executive
chart. But if you want something interactive (think click-through), then
Flash has that advantage.

Re: graphics in perl

Posted by Mike Schienle <mg...@customvisuals.com>.

I'e used Visual Engineering's KavaChart <http://www.ve.com/kavachart/index.html/
 > to do 1, 2, 3, and 5 above. It may do 4, but I haven't tried
anything like that with it. I have code for a simple System Load
application listed at <http://www.customvisuals.com/code.shtml>. Look
for System Load near the top of that page. You can also see something
pulling data from a URL at <http://www.customvisuals.com/> by viewing
the source of that page. Check the graph on the left side of the page.

Mike Schienle

RE: graphics in perl

Posted by "michael watson (IAH-C)" <mi...@bbsrc.ac.uk>.

Re: graphics in perl

Posted by Foo JH <jh...@extracktor.com>.

Re: graphics in perl

Posted by Rolf Schaufelberger <rs...@plusw.de>.
Am Sonntag, 22. Juni 2008 11:27:26 schrieb Malka Cymbalista:
> We are running perl 5.8.5 on a Linux machine that is running apache 2.2.6
> with mod_perl 2.0.3.  Our data is in a MySQL database (MySQL 5.0.45)
>
> We have been asked to write a web application that requires plotting
> capabilities.  We do most of our web programming in perl so I am looking
> for a perl module that has the following features: 1. ability to create
> histograms
> 2. ability to create x,y plots
> 3. ability to zoom in on a portion of the graph
> 4. ability to calculate the distance between 2  points on the graph
> 5. ability to hover on a point and bring up some text
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for which perl modules we should look
> into?
>
> Thanks for any information.

For drawing graphs you can have a look at google graph api
(http://code.google.com/apis/chart/)

I've once used another cart libray offering API in different languages
see : http://www.advsofteng.com/product.html

And then there is GD::Graph, but I have no experience with this.
For basic graphic functions look  at Imager (imager.perl.org)

--
Regards
Rolf Schaufelberger

RE: graphics in perl

Posted by "michael watson (IAH-C)" <mi...@bbsrc.ac.uk>.
I'd recommend interfacing with R (http://www.r-project.org)

________________________________

Re: graphics in perl

Posted by Jim Albert <ji...@netrition.com>.
Malka Cymbalista wrote:
> We are running perl 5.8.5 on a Linux machine that is running apache 2.2.6 with mod_perl 2.0.3.  Our data is in a MySQL database (MySQL 5.0.45)
>
> We have been asked to write a web application that requires plotting capabilities.  We do most of our web programming in perl so I am looking for a perl module that has the following features:
> 1. ability to create histograms
> 2. ability to create x,y plots
> 3. ability to zoom in on a portion of the graph
> 4. ability to calculate the distance between 2  points on the graph
> 5. ability to hover on a point and bring up some text
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for which perl modules we should look into?
>
> Thanks for any information.

There are a lot of perl APIs built over various graphics packages.
You can start with this list:
http://search.cpan.org/modlist/Graphics

You might also try searching cpan for some specific keywords, because I
don't believe all the graphics modules are in that list. For example,
I've used Image::Magick for doing some basic image resizing and
conversion, but I don't see Image::Magick in that list.

--
Jim Albert