Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> on 2006/02/27 16:37:22 UTC

Removing the "character" area tree object

I'm considering removing the "character" area tree object and instead
map an fo:character to a normal text area with one word child.
fo:characters are rarely used so this doesn't add much to the memory
consumption of the area tree but reduces the complexity (or code
duplication) of the text rendering code in the renderers a lot.

There are a few properties specific to fo:character which could lead you
to think that a character area tree object might be necessary. But the
non-inherited supress-at-line-break and treat-as-word-space, for example,
are only used by the layout engine, not by the renderer. The two
inherited properties glyph-orientation-horizontal|-vertical actually
apply to any text node because (as Manuel pointed out) they are all
converted to fo:character nodes. Of course, we don't really do that, but
this means that the effect of these last two properties have to be taken
over into the area tree in any case (explicit fo:character or not).

Does anybody see a problem with removing the character area tree object?

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Removing the "character" area tree object

Posted by Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.nl>.
On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 10:15:01AM -0800, Clay Leeds wrote:
> On Feb 27, 2006, at 9:37 AM, Andreas L Delmelle wrote:
> >>
> >>+1 I like the suggestion.
> >
> >+1 from me too.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >
> >Andreas
>
> I don't know if it's 'needed', but here's mine...
>
> +1

Same thoughts and vote from me: +1

Simon

--
Simon Pepping
home page: http://www.leverkruid.nl

Re: Removing the "character" area tree object

Posted by Clay Leeds <we...@mac.com>.
On Feb 27, 2006, at 9:37 AM, Andreas L Delmelle wrote:
> On Feb 27, 2006, at 16:40, Manuel Mall wrote:
>> On Monday 27 February 2006 23:37, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>>> I'm considering removing the "character" area tree object and
>>> instead
>>> map an fo:character to a normal text area with one word child.
>>> <snip />
>>> Does anybody see a problem with removing the character area tree
>>> object?
>>
>> +1 I like the suggestion.
>
> +1 from me too.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Andreas

I don't know if it's 'needed', but here's mine...

+1

Clay Leeds
webmaestro@mac.com

-- HH Dalai Lama of Tibet

Re: Removing the "character" area tree object

Posted by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be>.
On Feb 27, 2006, at 16:40, Manuel Mall wrote:

> On Monday 27 February 2006 23:37, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>> I'm considering removing the "character" area tree object and instead
>> map an fo:character to a normal text area with one word child.
>> <snip />
>> Does anybody see a problem with removing the character area tree
>> object?
>>

> +1 I like the suggestion.

+1 from me too.

Cheers,

Andreas

Re: Removing the "character" area tree object

Posted by Manuel Mall <mm...@arcus.com.au>.
On Monday 27 February 2006 23:37, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> I'm considering removing the "character" area tree object and instead
> map an fo:character to a normal text area with one word child.
> fo:characters are rarely used so this doesn't add much to the memory
> consumption of the area tree but reduces the complexity (or code
> duplication) of the text rendering code in the renderers a lot.
>
> There are a few properties specific to fo:character which could lead
> you to think that a character area tree object might be necessary.
> But the non-inherited supress-at-line-break and treat-as-word-space,
> for example, are only used by the layout engine, not by the renderer.
> The two inherited properties glyph-orientation-horizontal|-vertical
> actually apply to any text node because (as Manuel pointed out) they
> are all converted to fo:character nodes. Of course, we don't really
> do that, but this means that the effect of these last two properties
> have to be taken over into the area tree in any case (explicit
> fo:character or not).
>
> Does anybody see a problem with removing the character area tree
> object?

+1 I like the suggestion.

> Jeremias Maerki

Manuel

Re: Removing the "character" area tree object

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> I'm considering removing the "character" area tree object and instead
> map an fo:character to a normal text area with one word child.

Looks ok: +1

J.Pietschmann