Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Grzegorz Słowikowski <gs...@op.pl> on 2006/02/28 13:08:40 UTC

[discussion] Improving poms on ibiblio

Hi all

We know there are many errors in poms on ibiblio. I would like
to help to improve some of them.

There are some areas I am interesting most. First Tomcat 5.5.x.

I analyzed ALL Tomcat 5.5.9, 5.5.12 and 5.5.15 ibiblio artifacts.
What I found is:
- all 5.5.9 and 5.5.12 artifacts have empty poms - only modelVersion,
  groupId, artifactId and version tags, no dependencies!!
- all 5.5.15 artifacts have NO poms (I cannot even find maven upload issue
 for Tomcat 5.5.15 to check who uploaded it)

I placed first two issues on MEV:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MEV-344
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MEV-343
I wanted someone copy empty poms from 5.5.12 to 5.5.15 changing only
version. Carlos immediately closed them with "Won't fix" status and comment
"We don't generate empty poms. If you know what the dependencies are
you can submit the pom."
I don't understand this. There are only empty poms for all Tomcat 5.5.x artifacts.

I can do an investigation (check out sources from svn, compare with distribution
sources, compile) and generate all poms with dependencies. I can even generate
sources and javadocs jars. But I don't know what is the policy.
1. Is it right to prepare pom by person which is not a product author?
When generating dependencies I may omit something that is runtime only for
example.
2. Should I generate sources and javadocs jars?
3. How can non-author say which dependencies shold be optional?

There are some other products I found their poms need improvements, and I can
suggest the improvements, but I would like to hear what do you thing about it all
I wrote.

Greg

Re: [discussion] Improving poms on ibiblio

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
John is right, we stopped not long ago creating those poms that had
only minimal information. We prefer not having metadata than having
that, at least you now get a warning about it and if someone fixes the
pom you'll get it right away without having to delete stuff in your
local repo.

I could give you my word as a Spaniard.
No good. I've known too many Spaniards.
                             -- The Princess Bride

Re: [discussion] Improving poms on ibiblio

Posted by John Casey <jd...@yahoo.com>.
Hi, my replies are inline.

Cheers,

John

[snip]

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
06-02-28, Grzegorz Słowikowski <gs...@op.pl> napisał(a):

> There are some areas I am interesting most. First Tomcat 5.5.x.
>
> I analyzed ALL Tomcat 5.5.9, 5.5.12 and 5.5.15 ibiblio artifacts.
> What I found is:
> - all 5.5.9 and 5.5.12 artifacts have empty poms - only modelVersion,
>   groupId, artifactId and version tags, no dependencies!!
> - all 5.5.15 artifacts have NO poms (I cannot even find maven upload issue
>  for Tomcat 5.5.15 to check who uploaded it)

Witaj Grzegorz!

I'm almost sure they are on iBiblio for Apache Geronimo. Since Tomcat
doesn't generate them, we were given the permission to do it and as
usual the time constraints didn't allow us to make it more elegant.
Please let us know when they change so that we won't spend much time
scratching our heads when the Geronimo build breaks.

> Greg

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: [discussion] Improving poms on ibiblio

Posted by Grzegorz Słowikowski <gs...@op.pl>.
Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
06-03-06, Grzegorz Słowikowski <gs...@op.pl> napisał(a):

> Hi Wendy
>
> Now I have some time and I started preparing poms for all Tomcat artifacts.
> I have checked out all modules from svn (tags TOMCAT_5_5_15) and now
> I'm preparing poms for them. I already see, that I will have many questions.
> Where can we discuss it all? On Tomcat Bugzilla?

Witaj Grzegorz,

Isn't it already sorted out? See
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MAVENUPLOAD-761.

> Greg

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: [discussion] Improving poms on ibiblio

Posted by Grzegorz Słowikowski <gs...@op.pl>.
> I analyzed ALL Tomcat 5.5.9, 5.5.12 and 5.5.15 ibiblio artifacts.
>> What I found is:
>> - all 5.5.9 and 5.5.12 artifacts have empty poms - only modelVersion,
>>   groupId, artifactId and version tags, no dependencies!!
>> - all 5.5.15 artifacts have NO poms (I cannot even find maven upload
>> issue
>> for Tomcat 5.5.15 to check who uploaded it)
>

> It would have been synced from the Apache repository, not uploaded.
>
> I'm not sure about "we don't generate empty poms" though.  Has that
> changed?  If there was no pom we used to get a minimal one so Maven 2
> would
> at least "work" even without transitive dependencies.
>

>> I can do an investigation (check out sources from svn, compare with
>> distribution
>> sources, compile) and generate all poms with dependencies. I can even
>> generate
>> sources and javadocs jars. But I don't know what is the policy.
>> 1. Is it right to prepare pom by person which is not a product author?
>> When generating dependencies I may omit something that is runtime only
>> for
>> example.
>

> For an Apache project with missing poms, I think the best thing is to
> convince the developers to put the files in dist/java-repository where
> they
> will sync over to ibiblio.  Less work for Carlos that way. :)  If you have
> time to create the poms and open a Bugzilla 'enhancement' ticket with
> Tomcat, I'll watch for it and help.
>
> --
> Wendy

Hi Wendy

Now I have some time and I started preparing poms for all Tomcat artifacts.
I have checked out all modules from svn (tags TOMCAT_5_5_15) and now
I'm preparing poms for them. I already see, that I will have many questions.
Where can we discuss it all? On Tomcat Bugzilla?

Question #1: Where are sources for naming-factory-dbcp.jar?

Greetings

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.