Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Saminda Abeyruwan <sa...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/04 16:37:38 UTC

[Axis2] OSGi and Axis2

Hi Devs,

OSGi is the buzz word we are hearing all over the world these days. There
are many OSGi implementation, out of which I would like to my attention to
Equinox and Felix.

As you know Axis2 is the hot web services engine world is talking about. So
how would we make Axis2 OSGi aware and expose it's functionality with the
aid of HttpService. I would say that would be really cool.

So recently I am being working on this and found a cool way to expose Axis2
as a OSGi bundle.

So I was thinking of using OSGi service concept, and I would think of a
service interface like follows,

interface Axis2Service {

    public void registerPOJO(String className) throws Exception;

    public void registerPOJO(String className, Map messageReceivers) throws
Exception;

    public void registerAAR(String location) throws Exception;

    public void registerMAR(String location) throws Exception;

}

Like HttpService, Axis2Service initiate the Axis2 environment, use managed
services of HttpService to obtain endpoint information to populate the
correct listeners.

Dims has done some great work regarding JAX-WS and OSGi,  so I would say we
should go to the next level and make this is a reality. If all  devs are ok
with this, I would like to get working on this. Oh.. not for Axis2 1.4 of
course.

Thank you!

Saminda

--
Saminda Abeyruwan

Senior Software Engineer
WSO2 Inc. - www.wso2.org

Re: [Axis2] OSGi and Axis2

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

Saminda,

Please see

org.apache.axis2.extensions.osgi.core.SOAPProvider, we can extend that! There's a lot that needs fleshed out.

Please note that Apache Muse and Eclipse Corona both work off that interface (it was first developed in muse and then
used by Corona folks). So it would be a win-win situation if we get more people to participate by building on stuff that
already exists and used :)

thanks,
dims

Re: [Axis2] OSGi and Axis2

Posted by Saminda Abeyruwan <sa...@gmail.com>.

> Not the buzz word but a buzz word :)
>
> > word we are hearing all over the world these days. There are many OSGi
> > implementation, out of which I would like to my attention to Equinox and
> > Felix.
> >
> > As you know Axis2 is the hot web services engine world is talking about.
> > So how would we make Axis2 OSGi aware and expose it's functionality with the
> > aid of HttpService. I would say that would be really cool.
> >
> When look at the work involve with OSGi I do not think that Axis2 should
> be OSGi aware , it is ok to have OSGi support as what Dims has implemented
> but not to the core.
>
> If we are going to do then we are facing a serious problem , where all the
> services and modules authors have to write their artifacts as OSGI bundles ,
> then we are giving a hard work to our users. Which I am not going to +1  :)
>  . All the users and developers are happy with how Axis2 work now so no need
> to complicate it , just because OSGi is a buzz word.

We wanted to load mars and aars as it is. That's the main goal.  Being able
to  load aar or mar as bundle is a different scenario and it's currently
handled.

> > So recently I am being working on this and found a cool way to expose
> > Axis2 as a OSGi bundle.
> >
> > So I was thinking of using OSGi service concept, and I would think of a
> > service interface like follows,
> >
> > interface Axis2Service {
> >
> >    public void registerPOJO(String className) throws Exception;
> >
> >    public void registerPOJO(String className, Map messageReceivers)
> > throws Exception;
> >
> >    public void registerAAR(String location) throws Exception;
> >
> >    public void registerMAR(String location) throws Exception;
> >   }
> >

> > Like HttpService, Axis2Service initiate the Axis2 environment, use
> > managed services of HttpService to obtain endpoint information to populate
> > the correct listeners.
> >
> What is the rational behind this feature  ?  do you see any problem with
> current listeners approach ?

I'm sorry If I miss lead you in here. We mainly focus on Equinox. Equinox
comes with Jetty based HttpService. This HttpService used "ManagedService"
cm to configure it. I was thinking using that cm to configure the
AxisConfiguration to get the correct listener descriptions, so that the wsdl
/wsdl2 will show the correct endpoints.  This approach will nether overrides
nor obsolete the current listener semantics.

> > Dims has done some great work regarding JAX-WS and OSGi,  so I would say
> > we should go to the next level and make this is a reality. If all  devs are
> > ok with this, I would like to get working on this. Oh.. not for Axis2 1.4 of
> > course.
> >
> Nope I am not going to +1 this.

A Jar is OSGi away, only when it has the proper headers in MANIFEST.MF.

All the necessary extension need to support this will go to the "osgi"
Maven2 module. This is an extension.

Thank you!

Saminda

Saminda Abeyruwan

Senior Software Engineer
WSO2 Inc. - www.wso2.org

Re: [Axis2] OSGi and Axis2

Posted by Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>.
> Hi Devs,
>
> OSGi is the buzz
Not the buzz word but a buzz word :)
> word we are hearing all over the world these days. There are many OSGi
> implementation, out of which I would like to my attention to Equinox
> and Felix.
>
> As you know Axis2 is the hot web services engine world is talking
> about. So how would we make Axis2 OSGi aware and expose it's
> functionality with the aid of HttpService. I would say that would be
> really cool.
When look at the work involve with OSGi I do not think that Axis2 should
be OSGi aware , it is ok to have OSGi support as what Dims has
implemented but not to the core.

If we are going to do then we are facing a serious problem , where all
the services and modules authors have to write their artifacts as OSGI
bundles , then we are giving a hard work to our users. Which I am not
going to +1  :)  . All the users and developers are happy with how Axis2
work now so no need to complicate it , just because OSGi is a buzz word.

> So recently I am being working on this and found a cool way to expose
> Axis2 as a OSGi bundle.
>
> So I was thinking of using OSGi service concept, and I would think of
> a service interface like follows,
>
> interface Axis2Service {
>
>     public void registerPOJO(String className) throws Exception;
>
>     public void registerPOJO(String className, Map messageReceivers)
> throws Exception;
>
>     public void registerAAR(String location) throws Exception;
>
>     public void registerMAR(String location) throws Exception;
>
> }
>

> Like HttpService, Axis2Service initiate the Axis2 environment, use
> managed services of HttpService to obtain endpoint information to
> populate the correct listeners.
What is the rational behind this feature  ?  do you see any problem with
current listeners approach ?

> Dims has done some great work regarding JAX-WS and OSGi,  so I would
> say we should go to the next level and make this is a reality. If all
> devs are ok with this, I would like to get working on this. Oh.. not
> for Axis2 1.4 of course.
Nope I am not going to +1 this.

Thank you!
Deepal