Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org> on 2003/07/03 22:29:04 UTC

Top level project

After talking with someone about something I've been thinking about a top
level project....

formats.apache.org for file formats.

POI (and maybe TNEF) would be the first code base of course.  I want POI to
keep a tight focus that¹s what has let it succeed.  However, there is a need
for other formats.

There's of course some overlap with FOP, but I don't see that as a problem.
We're not XML-centric.  The idea would be to give us a platform for allowing
other folks to contribute other formats.

I can even see a general API emerging based on POI:

1. Archive -> abstract whether things are GZIPPED, ZIPPED or OLE2CDF'd
2. Workbook -> abstract whether things are Excel, Lotus, OpenOffice, etc
3. Document ...

However, I'd rather see these things take place At Apache but Outside of
POI.  Such that common APIs for similar file formats evolve.  XML interfaces
can be created for FOP/others wherever it makes sense to do so...

Thoughts?

-Andy
--
Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?

Re: Top level project

Posted by Ryan Ackley <sa...@cfl.rr.com>.
I think its a great idea. There is definite need for for other formats
besides MS Office. PDF especially. There are a ton for writing pdfs but very
few good ones that read pdfs. I like http://pdfbox.org.

One of my responsibilities at work is to handle text extraction from
different file formats using java, This was how I got started with HDF now
HWPF. We looked around for libraries in java, there is hardly anything out
there. The big three are Word, Excel, and Acrobat. Then you have the CAD
formats that are important Autocad and Microstation.

This would be great because I eventually want to do an open-source document
collaboration/workflow server. Sign me up

Ryan

Re: Top level project

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
See I'm not so sure about FOP and Batik...   I think we may find that pieces
of them are best moved out...but really sections of them are very XML-ish

On 7/4/03 3:28 PM, "Tetsuya Kitahata" <te...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 06:11:34 -0400
> "Ryan Ackley" <sa...@cfl.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> To me FOP doesn't really belong. Its main purpose is not to create PDFs but
>> to render XSL-FO to various formats. PDF just happens to be the main target
>> format. I would say use their code to go in a new direction but I don't
>> think FOP as it exists now would fit in to the spirit of a file format
>> project.
>
> Okay. XSL-FO is smart.
>
> Wondering the "file format project" (a.k.a. FFP?)...
> 1. FOP
> 2. Batik
> 3. Jakarta-Commons (sandbox-BZIP2?)
> 4. Cocoon
> 5. Jakarta-Commons (sandbox-csv/ in proposal recently, I think)
> 6. POI
> 7. (TNEF)
>
> /*** Oh! ... Stefano Land... :-) */
>
> How wonderful it would be to collaborate with various projects!
>
> Sincerely,
>
> -- Tetsuya (tetsuya@apache.org)

Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?

Re: Top level project

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 06:11:34 -0400

Re: Top level project

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
Gaining FOP and making poi/fop under the umbrella of formats.apache.org
would be a smart idea.

I know there are *A LOT* concerns about PDF, XML, Java, MS-****.
From a marketing point of view, I know there are many users who
can not choose the right way to deal with the MS-**/PDF formats.

Google is genius..

Sincerely,

-- Tetsuya (tetsuya@apache.org)

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 16:29:04 -0400
"Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org> wrote:

> After talking with someone about something I've been thinking about a top
> level project....
>
> formats.apache.org for file formats.
>
> POI (and maybe TNEF) would be the first code base of course.  I want POI to
> keep a tight focus that¹s what has let it succeed.  However, there is a need
> for other formats.
>
> There's of course some overlap with FOP, but I don't see that as a problem.
> We're not XML-centric.  The idea would be to give us a platform for allowing
> other folks to contribute other formats.
>
> I can even see a general API emerging based on POI:
>
> 1. Archive -> abstract whether things are GZIPPED, ZIPPED or OLE2CDF'd
> 2. Workbook -> abstract whether things are Excel, Lotus, OpenOffice, etc
> 3. Document ...
>
> However, I'd rather see these things take place At Apache but Outside of
> POI.  Such that common APIs for similar file formats evolve.  XML interfaces
> can be created for FOP/others wherever it makes sense to do so...
>
> Thoughts?
>

> -Andy
> --
> Andrew C. Oliver
> http://www.superlinksoftware.com/poi.jsp
> Custom enhancements and Commercial Implementation for Jakarta POI
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
> For Java and Excel, Got POI?

E-mail: kitahata@bb.mbn.or.jp : tetsuya@apache.org
http://www.terra-intl.com/