Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by GK...@symcor.com on 2007/11/15 22:43:13 UTC

[users@httpd] apache remote logging

Hi all,

I'd like to have number of apache servers logging remotely to a syslog-ng
server. Logging using syslogd -r is not an option, since I don't have root
on this machines. I'm thinking to pipe the logs an aplication which would
do the job (like netpipes or something).
Is there a log module which would do that?
Any experience with mod_log_spread?

Thanks,
Gabriel

Re: [users@httpd] apache remote logging

Posted by "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <da...@prime.gushi.org>.
On Thu, 15 Nov 2007, GKapitany@symcor.com wrote:

> I don't want necessarily an ssh tunnel and scp is not good because I need
> the logs on the destination as they are written.
> I need to be able to tail them at the destination. It is about 50
> webservers and 100 app servers....

All you need is netcat, really.

-Dan

> as last resort something like this:
> CustomLog "| hose 1.2.3.4  5000" common
>
> Thanks,
> Gabriel
>

>             "Dan Mahoney,
>             System Admin"
>             <danm@prime.gushi                                          To
>             .org>                     users@httpd.apache.org
>                                                                        cc
>             15/11/2007 04:48
>             PM                                                    Subject
>                                       Re: [users@httpd] apache remote
>                                       logging
>             Please respond to
>             users@httpd.apach
>                   e.org
>

> On Thu, 15 Nov 2007, GKapitany@symcor.com wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'd like to have number of apache servers logging remotely to a syslog-ng
>> server. Logging using syslogd -r is not an option, since I don't have
> root
>> on this machines. I'm thinking to pipe the logs an aplication which would
>> do the job (like netpipes or something).
>> Is there a log module which would do that?
>> Any experience with mod_log_spread?
>
> If you don't have root you're going to have a fun time trying to get
> apache to log to a pipe.
>
> You could just periodically scp off your logs...or keep a tail -F open on
> them (not all systems have the -F (note the caps) option (as long as they
> are readable of course.
>
> -Dan
>
> --
>
> unless is a pr0no book he wont even come close to the bandwidth quota
>
> -Racer-X, concerning DanMahoney.com's web hits.

I want to see how you see.

-SK, 6/2/99, 4:30 AM

Posted by "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <da...@prime.gushi.org>.