Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> on 2021/07/12 19:42:39 UTC

New committer work flow: request ICLA much earlier in the process

Hi,

I'd like to propose that PMCs consider requesting that significant contributors submit ICLAs earlier than when the PMC votes to invite a new committer to the project. What constitutes a significant contribution is left to the discretion of the PMCs.

There are a few reasons to request ICLAs earlier:

1. Significant contributors should have an ICLA on file in order to clarify the intellectual property rights of both contributor and the project. Projects assume that voluntary contributions to the project are made with a grant of intellectual property and patent rights, and having an ICLA on file formalizes this understanding.

When new projects enter the incubator, part of the acceptance process is to verify that all significant contributors have either an ICLA or a software grant on file. Once a project becomes a Top Level Project we should encourage them to also notice significant contributors and ask for ICLAs.

2. Having an ICLA on file can be a reminder to PMCs to review their significant contributors with an eye toward inviting them to become committers.

3. Having an ICLA on file make it trivial to create the account for a new committer candidate. Instead of back-and-forth with PMC, candidate, Secretary, and operations, PMCs can request an account for a new committer immediately after the candidate accepts.

Regards,
Craig

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org

Re: New committer work flow: request ICLA much earlier in the process

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.
+1 - Once accepted here I would like the IPMC to consider similar process for accepting podling proposals.