Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org> on 2008/03/27 14:53:17 UTC

Re: Spam abuse report plugin

Jari Fredriksson writes:
> > I get a lot of spam on my servers which get detected by
> > SA though are generated by innocent mail servers.
> >
> > We see a lot of mail users have insanely simple passwords
> > , spammers are using these accounts and send spam. By the
> > time the administrator realizes the server has sent
> > 1000's of spam
> >
> > If spamassassin had an option to send abuse report to
> > servers automatically and send mails to
> > abuse@<server-admin> the moment the first sure spam comes
> > in the admin could be warned before much damage has been
> > done. Obviously we limit to only 1 or 2 reports in an
> > hour to a particular id
> >

> You could open a reporting account at SpamCop.net, and carefully redirect certain spam messages to their service (via email). SpamCop then generates an abuse report.
>
> After SpamCop receives your report, they send you (the configured email address there) a confirmation mail, which has to be handled by you manually, or by a robot (like spamcup). When confirmed, they send abuse-reports on your behalf.
>
> If you want to automate this, it needs some scripting (and automating it may be against SpamCop's policy), but it can be done.
>
> Automatic system works quite well, if you can be sure not to post false positives there.
>
> Abuse reporting is not SA's job, but it's a job well done by SpamCop.net

in fact, SpamAssassin supports it using the Spamcop plugin.

--j.

RE: Spam abuse report plugin

Posted by "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <mi...@blacknight.ie>.
Jari

A LOT of clueless mail server admins send us reports about mailscanner.info

We have a standard reply telling them to get a $clue, but I'd prefer that my staff's time was spent dealing with proper issues :)

--
Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions

Re: Spam abuse report plugin

Posted by Jari Fredriksson <ja...@iki.fi>.
> As long as you whitelist MailScanner.info
>
> I am sick to my teeth of receiving abuse reports about a
> domain that never sends email and is used to block spam
>
> /me wanders off to rant elsewhere

WTF? is this all about?

Who has reported MailScanner.info as a spammer?

RE: Spam abuse report plugin