Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by "Deyager, Kevin" <ke...@hp.com> on 2015/06/16 01:35:20 UTC

Question on acceptable language for SGA Exhibit A text

Hello,

I have a question about Software Grant Agreement Exhibit A language and its acceptability to the Apache Software Foundation.  I am working on the incubating Apache project Trafodion and I was directed to the list by our helpful mentors.  Would it be acceptable to simply specify the grant using language like the following?
Trafodion is SQL-on-Hadoop software enabling transactional or operational workloads on Hadoop.  This is defined by the files containing an HP copyright in the Trafodion GitHub repositories at https://github.com/trafodion.
Some of the files in the repos are from BSD, Apache, etc... and are not HP copyright.  HP released the software over a year ago under the Apache License, Version 2.
Any other guidance on language is appreciated. We are anxious to submit and get going!
Thanks,
- Kevin

Kevin DeYager
Product Manager

kevin.deyager@hp.com<ma...@hp.com>
T +1 650 386 2771
Hewlett-Packard Company
3000 Hanover Street
MS 1415
Palo Alto, CA, 94304
USA

Re: Question on acceptable language for SGA Exhibit A text

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 3:59 PM, Deyager, Kevin <ke...@hp.com> wrote:
> ...We are trying to find a simple way to define our code that would be acceptable...

IMO the clearest way to identify donated code is by including on the
software grant the sha1 or other digest of a single-file archive
that's available at a public URL or as an attachment at
http://issues.apache.org/

You might create such an archive out of the the files containing an HP
copyright at https://github.com/trafodion with a few shell commands.

-Bertrand

Re: Question on acceptable language for SGA Exhibit A text

Posted by "Deyager, Kevin" <ke...@hp.com>.
Yes. We are trying to find a simple way to define our code that would be acceptable. Or maybe we are making this too complicated and whatever we put in our submittal with HP copyright is what gets defined as the code.

Kevin

On Jun 15, 2015 11:02 PM, Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org> wrote:
To make sure I understand the question:

Is the issue that the software the grant will cover includes 3rd party software, so you're looking for text that says the grant only covers that which HP is able to grant a license on?

Hen

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.