Posted to architecture@airavata.apache.org by Sachith Withana <sw...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/17 16:36:01 UTC

Securing the Thrift API

Hi all,

We are exploring the options on securing the Thrift API.

Our objective is to authenticate the server and authorize the client.

The options we are exploring are

1. mutual authentication using client and server certificates

2. Use the server certificate to setup a SSL communication and use OAuth
1or 2 for the client Authorization

Any suggestions on this matter are highly appreciated!

Sachith Withana

Re: Securing the Thrift API

Posted by Amila Jayasekara <th...@gmail.com>.
I am not quite sure whether desktop client directly connect to SciGap
(Multi-tenant Airavata). Cos the picture I am having in my mind for web
cliensts is as follows;

[Browser] <-----------> [ Web/Application Server (Gateway Server) ]
<-----------> [ SciGap ]

So if I replace browser with desktop client I would get following;

[Desktop Client] <-----------> [ Web/Application Server  (Gateway Server)]
<-----------> [ SciGap ]

If desktop clients are allowed to directly connect to SciGap instance then
they need to go through a certain registration (gateway) process. Also they
have to bypass user mangement associated with the gateway. Further desktop
clients gets privileged access than normal browser. Therefore to me it
makes more sensible for desktop clients to connect to Gateway Server and
not to SciGap.

Thanks
Amila

Re: Securing the Thrift API

Posted by Marlon Pierce <ma...@iu.edu>.

Re: Securing the Thrift API

Posted by Marlon Pierce <ma...@iu.edu>.

Re: Securing the Thrift API

Posted by Borries Demeler <de...@biochem.uthscsa.edu>.

RE: Securing the Thrift API

Posted by "Schwartz, Terri" <te...@sdsc.edu>.

<th...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 10:36 AM, Sachith Withana <swsachith@gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We are exploring the options on securing the Thrift API.
> >
> > Our objective is to authenticate the server and authorize the client.
> >

> What do you mean by authorizing client ?
>

> > The options we are exploring are
> >
> > 1. mutual authentication using client and server certificates
> >

> This seems to be a good fit according to my understanding.
>

> > 2. Use the server certificate to setup a SSL communication and use OAuth
> > 1or 2 for the client Authorization
> >

> I dont see a requirement for doing this. Usually we use OAuth when we need
> delegation. I am not clear how a delegation model fits here. Also it make
> things complicated.
>
> Thanks
> Amila
>

> > Any suggestions on this matter are highly appreciated!
> >
> > --
> > Thanks,
> > Sachith Withana

Sachith Withana

Re: Securing the Thrift API

Posted by Amila Jayasekara <th...@gmail.com>.
Sorry for the delayed reply. I was swamped with some assignments and
personal commitments.

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 11:18 AM, Sachith Withana <sw...@gmail.com>wrote:

> The whole problem arises because we need to authenticate the client.
>
> In mutual authentication, you need to setup the server as well to support
> each and every client.( by adding certificates manually). But scalability
> can be an issue here?
>
> In terms of having a public API, Google, Evernote and Amazon web services
> uses OAuth 2.0 to authenticate the client.
> And Evernote is using Thrift as well.

How do they use thrift ? Without having an understanding about architecture
of those applications its hard to say their security implementation also
suites to Airavata.

> I thought in terms of the SciGap perspective ( it can also support the
> current use case scenarios).
>
> But as you mentioned, it can make things more complicated. ( Since whoever
> is using the thrift client would have to program to use the Oauth)
>
> For learning purposes : In terms of the operation, doesn't these two do the
> same thing? ( Oauth coupled with server public key authentication vs mutual
> authentication using certificates) ( apart from the fact that OAuth
> supports delegation ?)

I dont think so ...

> User is delegating the thrift client to use the server right?

I am sorry, I dont understand what you meant here.
Usually if you want to grant some third party to access a server to get
something done on behalf of you then you use OAuth. In the case of SciGap I
dont see an entity providing 3rd party access onbehalf of some other
entity. Am I missing something from big picture ?

SciGap is multi-tenant airavata. So there should be a registration step for
each gateway. During the registration step we can establish the mutual
authentication by exchanging server and client certificates. Therefore I
think for SciGap case also mutual authentication matches.

Thank you
Regards
Thejaka Amila

/

RE: Securing the Thrift API

Posted by "Schwartz, Terri" <te...@sdsc.edu>.

<th...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 10:36 AM, Sachith Withana <swsachith@gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We are exploring the options on securing the Thrift API.
> >
> > Our objective is to authenticate the server and authorize the client.
> >

> What do you mean by authorizing client ?
>

> > The options we are exploring are
> >
> > 1. mutual authentication using client and server certificates
> >

> This seems to be a good fit according to my understanding.
>

> > 2. Use the server certificate to setup a SSL communication and use OAuth
> > 1or 2 for the client Authorization
> >

> I dont see a requirement for doing this. Usually we use OAuth when we need
> delegation. I am not clear how a delegation model fits here. Also it make
> things complicated.
>
> Thanks
> Amila
>

> > Any suggestions on this matter are highly appreciated!
> >
> > --
> > Thanks,
> > Sachith Withana

Sachith Withana

Re: Securing the Thrift API

Posted by Sachith Withana <sw...@gmail.com>.

<th...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 10:36 AM, Sachith Withana <swsachith@gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We are exploring the options on securing the Thrift API.
> >
> > Our objective is to authenticate the server and authorize the client.
> >

> What do you mean by authorizing client ?
>

> > The options we are exploring are
> >
> > 1. mutual authentication using client and server certificates
> >

> This seems to be a good fit according to my understanding.
>

> > 2. Use the server certificate to setup a SSL communication and use OAuth
> > 1or 2 for the client Authorization
> >

> I dont see a requirement for doing this. Usually we use OAuth when we need
> delegation. I am not clear how a delegation model fits here. Also it make
> things complicated.
>
> Thanks
> Amila
>

> > Any suggestions on this matter are highly appreciated!
> >
> > --
> > Thanks,
> > Sachith Withana

Sachith Withana

Re: Securing the Thrift API

Posted by Sachith Withana <sw...@gmail.com>.

<th...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 10:36 AM, Sachith Withana <swsachith@gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We are exploring the options on securing the Thrift API.
> >
> > Our objective is to authenticate the server and authorize the client.
> >

> What do you mean by authorizing client ?
>

> > The options we are exploring are
> >
> > 1. mutual authentication using client and server certificates
> >

> This seems to be a good fit according to my understanding.
>

> > 2. Use the server certificate to setup a SSL communication and use OAuth
> > 1or 2 for the client Authorization
> >

> I dont see a requirement for doing this. Usually we use OAuth when we need
> delegation. I am not clear how a delegation model fits here. Also it make
> things complicated.
>
> Thanks
> Amila
>

> > Any suggestions on this matter are highly appreciated!
> >
> > --
> > Thanks,
> > Sachith Withana

Sachith Withana