Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com> on 2008/02/29 20:39:50 UTC

[OT] Re: StrutsStatics...

(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=C%2B%2B+interfaces&btnG=Google+Search)
> would have shown you. Perhaps you're thinking of C.

>From the first sentence of the first link:

> The distinction between classes and interfaces is a powerful
> language feature present both in Java and C# (along with
> many other languages) but not in C++.

An interface pattern isn't an interface, which is what people were responding
to.

> newton.dave wrote:
>> One of the reasons people used the technique was to avoid a minimal
>> amount of extra keystrokes. Java 5's static imports removed the need
>> for the extra keystrokes.
> I disagree.

Go ahead. That's why people did it. There's no other reason to do it.

> the only personal attack I think I've made was towards Chris.

Which is completely out-of-line and inappropriate in this forum.

You may continue without me.

Dave

Re: [struts-dev] [OT] Re: StrutsStatics...

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
--- Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-03-01 at 10:42 -0800, Dave Newton wrote:
> > --- Dale Newfield <Da...@Newfield.org> wrote:
> > > [...] (and therefore none of us that still use emacs could possibly
> > > by good coders) [...]
> > Fixed your typo.
> Don't forget about those of us using ed/cat/butterflies

Still emacs, although that particular sequence has permanently crippled my
left hand.

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.
On Sat, 2008-03-01 at 10:42 -0800, Dave Newton wrote:
> --- Dale Newfield <Da...@Newfield.org> wrote:
> > [...] (and therefore none of us that still use emacs could possibly
> > by good coders) [...]
>
> Fixed your typo.
>
> Dave

Don't forget about those of us using ed/cat/butterflies

http://www.xkcd.com/378/

-Wes

Re: [struts-dev] [OT] Re: StrutsStatics...

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Dale Newfield <Da...@Newfield.org>.
CleverSwine wrote:
> auto-suggest IDEs...

The combination of your assumption that all "good coders" use IDEs (and
therefore none of us that still use vi could possibly by good coders),
continued posting about the same issue without any additional
contributions to the conversation (this would be an API change, which
was recently talked to death and I think decided against unless there's
a very good reason), and your refusal to identify yourself gives us all
plenty of reason to ignore you.

Since this is quite a generous group of people that develop/support
Struts, I expect that should you wish to raise this same issue again,
there's still a chance you'll get a receptive audience, but only if you
do so politely, without repeating yourself, and non-anonymously.

-Dale

Re: [OT] Re: StrutsStatics...

Posted by CleverSwine <cl...@fastmail.fm>.

newton.dave wrote:

>>> One of the reasons people used the technique was to avoid a minimal
>>> amount of extra keystrokes. Java 5's static imports removed the need
>>> for the extra keystrokes.
>> I disagree.
>
> Go ahead. That's why people did it. There's no other reason to do it.

Did you purposefully quote me out-of-context? The full quote is:

CleverSwine wrote:
> I disagree. Auto-complete/auto-suggest editors (or "IntelliSense", as
> Microsoft likes to call it) like JBuilder et. al., and, later, Eclipse,
> removed the need for the extra keystrokes.

Meaning: if you're claiming that people only used the constant interface
anti-pattern to save keystrokes, I'm saying that's nonsense because said
keystrokes could also have been saved with auto-suggest IDEs... which have
been available for 10+ years (i.e., long before Java5 and during the use of
the constant interface anti-pattern). Perhaps *some* people did it to save
keystrokes, but more often than not people simply repeated bad designs and
patterns perpetrated by others because they didn't know any better and/or
didn't question and/or subscribe to copy-and-paste development.

newton.dave wrote:

>> the only personal attack I think I've made was towards Chris.
>
> Which is completely out-of-line and inappropriate in this forum.

Sorry, I apologize for that.