Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by John Schneider <jo...@daumcommercial.com> on 2004/12/27 20:39:42 UTC

Make test fails installing Storable (t/croak) for SA 3.0.2 upgrade

I'm having trouble install Storable on FreeBSD 4.9 so I can upgrade my SA to
3.0.2. Does anyone have any ideas how to solve the following error during
Make?

Running test for module Storable
Running make for A/AM/AMS/Storable-2.13.tar.gz
  Is already unwrapped into directory /root/.cpan/build/Storable-2.13
  Has already been processed within this session
Running make test
PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /usr/local/bin/perl5.8.2 "-MExtUtils::Command::MM" "-e"
"test_harness(0, 'blib/lib', 'blib/arch')" t/*.t
t/blessed.............ok
t/canonical...........ok
t/code................ok
t/compat06............ok
t/croak...............Oi! No! Don't change this test so that Carp is used
before Storable at t/croak.t line 23.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at t/croak.t line 25.
t/croak...............dubious
        Test returned status 255 (wstat 65280, 0xff00)
t/dclone..............ok
t/downgrade...........ok
t/forgive.............ok
t/freeze..............ok
t/integer.............ok
t/interwork56.........skipped
        all skipped: Your IVs are no larger than your longs
t/just_plain_nasty....ok
t/lock................ok
t/malice..............ok
t/overload............ok
t/recurse.............ok
t/restrict............ok
t/retrieve............ok
t/store...............ok
t/threads.............skipped
        all skipped: no threads
t/tied................ok
t/tied_hook...........ok
t/tied_items..........ok
t/utf8................ok
t/utf8hash............ok
Failed Test Stat Wstat Total Fail  Failed  List of Failed
---
t/croak.t    255 65280    ??   ??       %  ??
2 tests skipped.
Failed 1/25 test scripts, 96.00% okay. 0/2044 subtests failed, 100.00% okay.
*** Error code 2

Stop in /root/.cpan/build/Storable-2.13.
  /usr/bin/make test -- NOT OK

Regards,

John Schneider,
Information Systems Manager,
GVA DAUM Worldwide Real Estate Solutions
123 S Figueroa Street
Suite 400
Los Angeles, CA 90012

213-270-2262 Direct
213-947-1431 Fax

WEBSITE:  www.gvadaum.com
EMAIL:  john.schneider@gvadaum.com

RE: Make test fails installing Storable (t/croak) for SA 3.0.2 upgrade

Posted by John Schneider <jo...@daumcommercial.com>.
>> I wonder why CPAN is trying to use the wrong PERL. I know
>> that PERL 5.005_03 ships with FreeBSD 4.9, but I've
>> installed the newer perl and used the command to switch PERL
>> to use the PORT install instead of the SYSTEM install.

>From reading from the FreeBSD lists, it appears using CPAN is discouraged.
Using the FreeBSD PORT version of the Perl modules is the best way to do
things for FreeBSD. So, I'll proceed down that road.

Thanks for your help.

Posted by John Schneider <jo...@daumcommercial.com>.
>> Looking at the Storable code, that bug only occurs if you
>> try to build Storable on Perl 5.005_03.

If I do a perl -v I find that I'm using:

This is perl, v5.8.2 built for i386-freebsd

I wonder why CPAN is trying to use the wrong PERL. I know that PERL 5.005_03
ships with FreeBSD 4.9, but I've installed the newer perl and used the
command to switch PERL to use the PORT install instead of the SYSTEM
install.

I guess I have to research why CPAN tries to use the SYSTEM perl. I'll
report back what I find. Thanks for helping me to uncover what's happening.

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
At 02:39 PM 12/27/2004, John Schneider wrote:
>I'm having trouble install Storable on FreeBSD 4.9 so I can upgrade my SA to
>3.0.2. Does anyone have any ideas how to solve the following error during
>Make?

Looking at the Storable code, that bug only occurs if you try to build
Storable on Perl 5.005_03.

It appears that 5.005_03 is what FreeBSD 4.9 ships with.

However, it's not worth trying to work around this problem, as SpamAssassin
3.x does not support perl versions prior to 5.6.1.

It looks like you're going to have to upgrade perl, or your version of
freebsd, before upgrading SA.