Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by James Ellis <el...@hotmail.com> on 2008/03/02 22:27:29 UTC

[users@httpd] Unencrypted Channel From Web Server To App Server

Is it correct to say that in a typical Browser-Apache Web Server-Tomcat App Server setup, the SSL connection generally terminates at the Apache web server and the traffic between Apache and Tomcat (to the AJP connector) is unencrypted?  If I am correct that this is the "usual" setup, then isn't this a pretty big security flaw since the DMZ is supposed be only "partly" safe?

If someone were to crack into the DMZ and could sniff network traffic, then they could in theory listen in to traffic and grab all of it in an unencrypted state (which may include credit card information, usernames, passwords etc).

Jim

Re: [users@httpd] Unencrypted Channel From Web Server To App Server

Posted by Sean Allen <se...@ardishealth.com>.
On Mar 2, 2008, at 7:20 PM, James Ellis wrote:

> Inline:
>
> > Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 17:59:00 -0600
> > From: wrowe@rowe-clan.net
> > To: users@httpd.apache.org
> > Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Unencrypted Channel From Web Server To
> App Server
> >
> > James Ellis wrote:
> > > Is it correct to say that in a typical Browser-Apache Web Server-
> Tomcat
> > > App Server setup, the SSL connection generally terminates at the
> Apache
> > > web server and the traffic between Apache and Tomcat (to the AJP
> > > connector) is unencrypted? If I am correct that this is the
> "usual"
> > > setup, then isn't this a pretty big security flaw since the DMZ is
> > > supposed be only "partly" safe?
> > >
> > > If someone were to crack into the DMZ and could sniff network
> traffic,
> > > then they could in theory listen in to traffic and grab all of
> it in an
> > > unencrypted state (which may include credit card information,
> usernames,
> > > passwords etc).
> >
> > Yes. This design relies on the integrity of the network beyond the
> DMZ.
>
> I am assuming the following design:
>
> browser
> FIREWALL (BEGIN DMZ)
> web server
> FIREWALL (END DMZ)
> app server/database server
>
> You say it relies on the integrity of the network "beyond" the DMZ,
> but my point is that doesn't this design also rely on the integrity
> WITHIN the DMZ?  Since SSL is ending at the web server
> here...traffic from the web server to the app server would be
> unencrypted...
>

> > A good solution is to use proxy_http over ssl and the https
> connector for
> > the last mile, if this is a concern in the environment you have
> deployed.

And this right here:

>  A good solution is to use proxy_http over ssl and the https
> connector for
> > the last mile

States exactly that, running the webserver to app server via an ssl
proxy rather than just regular http proxy.

RE: [users@httpd] Unencrypted Channel From Web Server To App Server

Posted by James Ellis <el...@hotmail.com>.
Inline:

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.