Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com> on 1997/09/23 17:15:51 UTC

Apache for NT (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
>From: ivanlan@aol.com (Ivanlan)
>Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.www.servers.ms-windows
>Subject: Re: Apache for NT
>Date: 23 Sep 1997 14:59:19 GMT

The 1.3a1 NT source does not compile as packaged under MS VC++ 5.0.

The .DSW file and the .DSP files have no source files in them; they are
pretty worthless.  The makefiles do not work.  If you want experienced C
programmers to compile Apache for NT, then I suggest strongly that you
make at least a feeble attempt to help us figure out what's wrong.

Ivan Van Laningham
CallWare Technologies, Inc.
ivanlan@callware.com
http://tzuk-te.callware.com (See Mayan glyphs here!)
http://huch-pib.callware.com (Currently off the net.)

Re: Apache for NT (fwd)

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Paul Sutton wrote:

> > The 1.3a1 NT source does not compile as packaged under MS VC++ 5.0.
> >
> > The .DSW file and the .DSP files have no source files in them; they are
> > pretty worthless.  The makefiles do not work.  If you want experienced C
> > programmers to compile Apache for NT, then I suggest strongly that you
> > make at least a feeble attempt to help us figure out what's wrong.
>
> Has anyone replied to this, erm, polite enquiry? I was going to reply on
> News but I don't have access from here. I'll send email if no-one else has
> responded (via email or news).

I replied to something rather similar privately sent to me and Alexei,
but I'm not completely sure it was the same guy.

Cheers,

Ben.

--
Ben Laurie            |Phone: +44 (181) 994 6435|Apache Group member
Freelance Consultant  |Fax:   +44 (181) 994 6472|http://www.apache.org

Re: Apache for NT (fwd)

Posted by Paul Sutton <pc...@hyperreal.org>.
On Wed, 24 Sep 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:
> Nope, I haven't responded and haven't noticed any responses either.  I was
> tempted to say "you are a bloody idiot"  but figure that wouldn't be fair
> without me looking at the NT stuff.  <g>

That is an appropriate answer, but not as diplomatic as perhaps it could
be! He shouldn't be having a problem if he's a MS developer - he can
either run nmake at the command line (I guess _real_ MS developers never
use the command line, cough). Or load each of the projects in turn and
compile. It isn't exactly plug-n-play, but what does he expect for an
alpha source-only release?

But he's doing something strange if he thinks our .dsw files are empty -
since we don't even ship anything called *.dsw. Umm.

> If getting access to a news server is a problem for you and you want it,
> let me know and we could probably work something out.

Actually Dean's already offered a server which is local to apache.org so
this is sorted. Thanks for the offer.

Paul

Re: Apache for NT (fwd)

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.