Posted to rivet-dev@tcl.apache.org by Matteo <ma...@finsystem.net> on 2003/08/20 20:04:55 UTC

Rivet and FreeBSD 4.8

Hi guys,

I'm trying to install Rivet on a FreeBSD 4.8 Box. At the moment,
a port of Rivet doesn't exists, so I get source code, I've edit
make.tcl to add the line -I/usr/local/include/tcl8.4,
-I/usr/include/rpcsvc to fine tcl.h and crypt.h file, and I changed path
of apxs to /usr/local/sbin/apxs.
I launched
make.tcl script. mod_rivet.so is created.

Then i run ./make.tcl install and rivet is installed. I've add Addtype in
httpd.conf and loadmodule. When I launch Apache, from browser i
get this:

http://192.168.0.1/index.rvt

invalid command name "
OUTPUT BUFFER:

Here is file index.rvt:

<?
puts "ciao"
?>

How can I do?

Bye.

Re: Rivet and FreeBSD 4.8

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
Damon Courtney <da...@your.unreality.com> writes:

> > Hrm.  What is actually looking for crypt.h?
> >
> > Am I wrong, or should rivetCrypt.c just include unistd.h - that's what
> > man pages say on linux and freebsd.  I don't see crypt.h in the Rivet
> > sources:-/
>
>     rivetCrypt.c is the only thing that should look for crypt.h.

Ah, I see... it was in the released code, but in CVS, I did away with
it:

2003-07-05  David N. Welton  <da...@dedasys.com>

	* src/rivetCrypt.c: Use ap_config.h to grab other header files we
	might need, like crypt.h.  This is not an ideal solution, because
	it adds a dependency we didn't have before.  Added change by Pat
	to conditionally compile or not the 'Rivet_Crypt' command.

> It may only be necessary on older systems, but it's for the crypt
> command at the Tcl-level.  There's actually a pure-Tcl
> implementation on the Wiki that we can drop into the rivet-tcl
> directory.  That way, if the crypt command is loaded in C, it will
> still work using the Tcl version.  It's a lot slower than the C
> version, but at least it'll still be there. 0-]

Sounds good to me.

--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: Rivet and FreeBSD 4.8

Posted by Damon Courtney <da...@your.unreality.com>.
> Hrm.  What is actually looking for crypt.h?
>
> Am I wrong, or should rivetCrypt.c just include unistd.h - that's what
> man pages say on linux and freebsd.  I don't see crypt.h in the Rivet
> sources:-/

    rivetCrypt.c is the only thing that should look for crypt.h.  It

Re: Rivet and FreeBSD 4.8

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
"Andy Doerr" <an...@swbell.net> writes:

> > > I don't know. I think that is a FreeBSD thing. Unfortunately now
> > > I have only 1 box to check it, so I can't be sure at 100%.

> > Can anyone else comment?  Andy?

> /usr/include/rpcsvc is where crypt.h lives, I had to add it to my
> 4.8 box to compile rivet

Hrm.  What is actually looking for crypt.h?

Am I wrong, or should rivetCrypt.c just include unistd.h - that's what
man pages say on linux and freebsd.  I don't see crypt.h in the Rivet
sources:-/

> On the error issue, maybe you are running a before or after script
> or maybe error script that may originate the problem.

The OP emailed me to say he fixed the problem - it was user error.

I think all scripts generate *some* kind of comprehensible error if
they fail...

Re: Rivet and FreeBSD 4.8

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
"Matteo" <ma...@finsystem.net> writes:

> > > -I/usr/include/rpcsvc to fine tcl.h and crypt.h file,
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> > Is that a FreeBSD thing or your own installation?  I don't see it
> > on the FreeBSD machine I have access to.

> I don't know. I think that is a FreeBSD thing. Unfortunately now I
> have only 1 box to check it, so I can't be sure at 100%.

Can anyone else comment?  Andy?

> > > and I changed path of apxs to /usr/local/sbin/apxs.

> > By the way, is this with the release, or the CVS code?

> release. downloaded yesterday.

You might consider upgrading to the CVS version.  We are preparing a
new release with lots of things updated.

> > This doesn't look like a complete error message to me:-/

> Because this isn't an error message :) It's simply the output take
> it from the browser.

Sure, that's what I mean.  Look here:

If I have:

<?
sdf
puts "ciao"
?>

As a script, I get a fairly informative error message:

invalid command name "sdf"
    while executing
"sdf"
    (in namespace eval "::request" script line 4)
    invoked from within
"namespace eval request {
puts -nonewline ""

sdf
puts "ciao"

 puts -nonewline ""

}"

OUTPUT BUFFER:

namespace eval request {
puts -nonewline ""

sdf
puts "ciao"

 puts -nonewline ""

}

But the message you displayed didn't seem to have much of anything.  I
wonder if the Rivet package is actually installed in a place where
it's getting loaded...

> > You should always check your error logs too, I'm willing to bet
> > there is something in them.  Why don't you report that and let us
> > know?

> Where can i find rivet error logs? In apache logs I don't find
> anything about rivet error.

Not even in error.log?

Re: Rivet and FreeBSD 4.8

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
"Matteo" <ma...@finsystem.net> writes:

> I'm trying to install Rivet on a FreeBSD 4.8 Box. At the moment, a
> port of Rivet doesn't exists, so I get source code, I've edit
> make.tcl to add the line -I/usr/local/include/tcl8.4,

> -I/usr/include/rpcsvc to fine tcl.h and crypt.h file,

Is that a FreeBSD thing or your own installation?  I don't see it on
the FreeBSD machine I have access to.

> and I changed path of apxs to /usr/local/sbin/apxs.

By the way, is this with the release, or the CVS code?

> I launched make.tcl script. mod_rivet.so is created.

> Then i run ./make.tcl install and rivet is installed. I've add
> Addtype in httpd.conf and loadmodule. When I launch Apache, from
> browser i get this:

> http://192.168.0.1/index.rvt

> invalid command name "
> OUTPUT BUFFER:

This doesn't look like a complete error message to me:-/ You should
always check your error logs too, I'm willing to bet there is
something in them.  Why don't you report that and let us know?

> Here is file index.rvt:

> <?
> puts "ciao"
> ?>

That is certainly correct.

Re: Rivet and FreeBSD 4.8

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
"Matteo" <ma...@finsystem.net> writes:

> I'm trying to install Rivet on a FreeBSD 4.8 Box. At the moment,
> a port of Rivet doesn't exists, so I get source code, I've edit
> make.tcl to add the line -I/usr/local/include/tcl8.4,

> -I/usr/include/rpcsvc to fine tcl.h and crypt.h file, and I changed path
> of apxs to /usr/local/sbin/apxs.

By the way, is this with the release, or the CVS code?

> I launched make.tcl script. mod_rivet.so is created.

> Then i run ./make.tcl install and rivet is installed. I've add
> Addtype in httpd.conf and loadmodule. When I launch Apache, from
> browser i get this:

> http://192.168.0.1/index.rvt

> invalid command name "
> OUTPUT BUFFER:

This doesn't look like a complete error message to me:-/ You should
always check your error logs too, I'm willing to bet there is
something in them.  Why don't you report that and let us know?

> Here is file index.rvt:

> <?
> puts "ciao"
> ?>