Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/01 23:45:54 UTC

[JAMESHandler] STARTTLS

i've been wondering whether the SSL socket switch required for
STARTTLS would be better done in the JAMES handler framework layer
(AbstractJamesHandler)

ATM the JAMES handler framework uses inheritance. so POP3Handler,
SMTPHandler and so on extend AbstractJamesHandler. i've been wondering
whether it might be better to replace inheritance with delegation by
factoring out and interface.

opinions?

- robert

Re: [JAMESHandler] STARTTLS

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
Am Dienstag, den 01.04.2008, 22:45 +0100 schrieb Robert Burrell Donkin:
> i've been wondering whether the SSL socket switch required for
> STARTTLS would be better done in the JAMES handler framework layer
> (AbstractJamesHandler)
>
> ATM the JAMES handler framework uses inheritance. so POP3Handler,
> SMTPHandler and so on extend AbstractJamesHandler. i've been wondering
> whether it might be better to replace inheritance with delegation by
> factoring out and interface.
>
> opinions?
>
> - robert

Seems to make sense for me...

Cheers
Norman

Re: [JAMESHandler] STARTTLS

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 12:03 AM, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
>
> > i've been wondering whether the SSL socket switch required for
>  > STARTTLS would be better done in the JAMES handler framework layer
>  > (AbstractJamesHandler)
>
>  +1

+1

>  > ATM the JAMES handler framework uses inheritance. so POP3Handler,
>  > SMTPHandler and so on extend AbstractJamesHandler. i've been wondering
>  > whether it might be better to replace inheritance with delegation by
>  > factoring out and interface.
>  >
>  > opinions?
>
>  sounds reasonable. I don't remember too much that code to understand
>  what kind of impact a similar refactoring would have.

+1, separation of concerns, always good.

  Bernd

Re: [JAMESHandler] STARTTLS

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
> i've been wondering whether the SSL socket switch required for
> STARTTLS would be better done in the JAMES handler framework layer
> (AbstractJamesHandler)

+1

> ATM the JAMES handler framework uses inheritance. so POP3Handler,
> SMTPHandler and so on extend AbstractJamesHandler. i've been wondering
> whether it might be better to replace inheritance with delegation by
> factoring out and interface.
>
> opinions?

sounds reasonable. I don't remember too much that code to understand
what kind of impact a similar refactoring would have.

Stefano