Posted to user@storm.apache.org by 牟雁飞 <ya...@gmail.com> on 2016/12/31 15:27:17 UTC

KafkaSpout get killed and never brought up again

Hey Guys,

We are using Storm in production for almost one year. It runs perfect until
lastly there are some weired exceptions in our topologies.

Storm-kafka is what we used to read messages from Kafka into Storm, along
with our business logic running in Storm topologies. Both Storm and
storm-kafka is version 1.0.0.

At some circumstances the KafkaSpout will get killed and never start up
again, so the messages in this topic or some partitions of this topic will
not find its way to out topologies. The exception message in worker.log
showed that there are exceptions in the nextTuple() method of KafkaSpout.
After reading the source code
https://github.com/apache/storm/blob/master/external/storm-kafka/src/jvm/org/apache/storm/kafka/KafkaSpout.java
here,
I found that line 145(which is zookeeper refreshing in the catch clause) is
the first place where this Exception is raised.

Is this problem visible to anyone else? And do you guys have any possible
solutions for this?

For now I just rewrite the nextTuple method to surround the original code
into a new try-catch block which did nothing to prevent the KafkaSpout from
being killed.

Any suggestions here? Thanks!