Posted to taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org by joe bonansinga <jb...@hotmail.com> on 2000/12/28 04:57:33 UTC

Control Structure tags

I am new to the whole jsp thing. Maybe people have already thought of this.
I have extensive cold fusion experience. Cold fusion uses a concept very
similar to tag libraries in the CFML language. One of the most powerful
aspects of the language are the <CFIF>, <CFLOOP>, <CFSWITCH>, etc control
structures. After looking at scriptlets, they are very messy. Are there any
plans to develop a "control structure" tag library with a similar purpose? A
simple example would be:

<jsp:if (some condition)>
do something
<jsp:else>
do something
</jsp:if>

Thanks,

Joe

Re: Control Structure tags

Posted by Hans Bergsten <ha...@gefionsoftware.com>.
joe bonansinga wrote:

> I am new to the whole jsp thing. Maybe people have already thought of this.
> I have extensive cold fusion experience. Cold fusion uses a concept very
> similar to tag libraries in the CFML language. One of the most powerful
> aspects of the language are the <CFIF>, <CFLOOP>, <CFSWITCH>, etc control
> structures. After looking at scriptlets, they are very messy. Are there any
> plans to develop a "control structure" tag library with a similar purpose? A
> simple example would be:
>
> <jsp:if (some condition)>
> do something
> <jsp:else>
> do something
> </jsp:if>

Something like this will likely be added to the JSP spec (or as a
separate spec) in the future. There's a Java Community Process (JCP)
project set up to define a set of standard actions, and conditional
actions are a likely result.

<http://java.sun.com/aboutJava/communityprocess/jsr/jsr_052_jsptaglib.html>

But you can find a lot of action elements like this today, for
instance in the Apache Struts project:

  <http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/index.html>

Hans
--
Hans Bergsten		hans@gefionsoftware.com
Author of JavaServer Pages (O'Reilly), http://TheJSPBook.com

Re: Control Structure tags

Posted by "Joseph B. Ottinger" <jo...@epesh.com>.
It's already being addressed. Don't forget, though, that JSP tags are
required to be well-formed, so you're looking at an XSL-like structure
rather than a CF-like structure:

<cond:if expr="<%= myString.equals("myValue") %>">
  <cond:true>
  </cond:true>
  <cond:false>
  </cond:false>
</cond:if>

Switch/case statements are more logical, along these lines. While and
other loops are easier; www.orionserver.com has a tag lib that has
iteration tags for, um, Iterators already available.

Joseph B. Ottinger                           joeo@epesh.com
http://epesh.com/                             IT Consultant