Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com> on 2004/01/24 12:21:48 UTC

Getting Rid of Jimi

Hi all,

    It is certainly true that javax.imageio is the direction
to go in the future.

    However, It is probably worth pointing out that you already
include a PNG encoder/decoder with the FOP distribution,
from Batik!

      org.apache.batik.ext.awt.image.codec.PNGImageEncoder
      org.apache.batik.ext.awt.image.codec.PNGImageDecoder

    Let me know if you want/need more info (including pointers
to where FOP does the image loading would be helpful as well).

Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>

Re: Getting rid of JIMI

Posted by Glen Mazza <gr...@yahoo.com>.
Very classy response.  (You're getting good at knowing
how to handle me... ;-)

Glen

http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/

Re: Getting rid of JIMI

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
Noted. I will make it a point in the proposal so the Batik people will
be able to comment and we can develop mechnisms to ensure quality.

On 25.01.2004 18:42:20 Glen Mazza wrote:
> The current (lowered) committer standards on the FOP
> team definitely needs to be explained to the Batik
> team before we get write access to their
> project--something I'm still far from recommending.
> Jeremias, being perhaps the leading proponent of the
> new committer standards, is probably in the best
> position to explain this to Thomas--I still don't
> understand it myself.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Getting rid of JIMI

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> I will probably have some time next month to write a proposal on how our
> two projects can move closer together to make the code sharing happen.

Stuff that comes to mind immediately:
- fonts, metrics, character and word width
- various configuration stuff
- character normalization and line breaking (for SVG flow text)
- command line wrapper
- common area rendering
- embedded images, of course
- API concerns, as discussed: hooks for custom resolvers for fonts,
  images, URLs in general

J.Pietschmann

Re: Getting rid of JIMI

Posted by Glen Mazza <gr...@yahoo.com>.
--- Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch> wrote:

> I will probably have some time next month to write a
> proposal on how our
> two projects can move closer together to make the
> code sharing happen.
>
> Jeremias Maerki

Ummm...Jeremias, remember, your recent nominations for
FOP committers included those who don't even know Java
[1][2] and haven't submitted any code patches (and
barely any--*if* any--doc patches at that.)  Per you
and Joerg's new standards, to be a committer on the
FOP team, just being helpful on the mailing lists
suffices.[3]

The Batik team, like Xalan, Struts, HTTPD, and other
successful projects, however, still keeps programmatic
committer standards and pretty high ones at that.
(Take a look at the solid backgrounds of the Batik
committers [4], for example.)  To protect their user
base and their excellent products, they don't
gratuitously (and dangerously) hand out write access
to people as tokens of appreciation.

If you and Joerg want to insist on committers who
haven't even learned CVS and Ant yet, then interfacing
with other teams is going to be problematic, if only
for the safety of their code.  I wish you had both
thought out the consequences beforehand (I certainly
didn't appreciate being made into the "mean one" on
this issue)--regardless, the Batik team should be
aware of this issue.

The current (lowered) committer standards on the FOP
team definitely needs to be explained to the Batik
team before we get write access to their
project--something I'm still far from recommending.
Jeremias, being perhaps the leading proponent of the
new committer standards, is probably in the best
position to explain this to Thomas--I still don't
understand it myself.

Glen

[1]
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fop-dev&m=106640132114490&w=2
[2]
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fop-dev&m=107262232610618&w=2
[3]
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fop-dev&m=107271927618049&w=2
[4] http://xml.apache.org/batik/whoAreWe.html

http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/

Re: Getting rid of JIMI

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
On 25.01.2004 12:46:08 Thomas DeWeese wrote:
> Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch> wrote:
>
> > Damn, you're right. I wonder why we haven't made use of this, yet. BTW,
> > is this code from JAI (like the classes Oleg Tkachenko uses in his TIFF
> > renderer) or is this separately developed code (ASF origin)?
>
>     This was contributed by Sun and is I believe the code came
> from JAI (great group of guys).  There have been some bug
> fixes/improvements since then but it is basically that code.
>
> > You know that there's a number of people who would actually be
> > interested in creating/having a BSD-style image (codec) library?
>
>    Sure, but given imageio does it make sense to put a lot of
> effort into an independent codec library?  If I were going to
> create a codec library I would create one that plugged into
> image-io.

I agree that the codec library should plug into ImageIO, but this API
is only available since JDK 1.4. I'm sure that if there's enough
interest in supporting the image library under pre-1.4 JDKs there will
be contributions to make that happen. No need to lose too much time if
it's not needed at first.

Re: Getting Rid of Jimi

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
Damn, you're right. I wonder why we haven't made use of this, yet. BTW,
is this code from JAI (like the classes Oleg Tkachenko uses in his TIFF
renderer) or is this separately developed code (ASF origin)?

You know that there's a number of people who would actually be
interested in creating/having a BSD-style image (codec) library? I think