Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Furkan KAMACI <fu...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/15 14:21:20 UTC

SolrCloud Leaders

Does number of leaders at a SolrCloud is equal to number of shards?

Re: SolrCloud Leaders

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
It is supposed to be one leader per shard, yes.

Upayavira

Re: SolrCloud Leaders

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com>.
Leader election will result from nodes coming up and going down as well as
changes in network connectivity and even simply responsiveness between the
nodes. A "quorum" is always needed.

There may be other reasons as well that I don't know about.

The point was simply that it is not a "leader" vs. "replica" issue - all of
the nodes are replicas and one replica just "happens" to be be playing the
role of leader at a given moment.

-- Jack Krupansky

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.
If the current leader dies, somebody's got to take over.

Otis
--
Solr & ElasticSearch Support
http://sematext.com/

Re: SolrCloud Leaders

Posted by Furkan KAMACI <fu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jack;

Re: SolrCloud Leaders

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com>.
All nodes are replicas in SolrCloud since there are no masters. It's a fully
distributed model. A leader is also a replica. A leader is simply a replica
which was elected to be a leader, for now. An hour from now some other
replica may be the leader.

Re: SolrCloud Leaders

Posted by Furkan KAMACI <fu...@gmail.com>.

Re: SolrCloud Leaders