Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2011/07/26 19:30:58 UTC

Servlet 3.1, Tomcat 8 etc.

The Servlet EG is starting to discuss changes to the Servlet API for
3.1. It would be useful if the option existed to implement some of these
changes in Tomcat trunk. The benefits of this are:
- we can see how feasible the API changes are to implement
- users can try out the new APIs (assuming we do a Tomcat 8 alpha release)

Therefore, after the next Tomcat 7 release, I would like to do the
following:
- Copy tomcat/trunk to tomcat/tc7.0.x/trunk
- Start making Servlet API changes to tomcat/trunk

Assuming that there are no objections to that plan, that leads to a
couple of other questions.

1. Should tomcat/tc7.0.x/trunk be RTC or CTR?

2. With tomcat/trunk becoming the basis for Tomcat 8, I would like to
see earlier and more frequent alpha/beta releases than we had for Tomcat
7. That would increase the effective number of versions we are
supporting. With that in mind, should we announce end of support for
5.5.x with the last release expected in ~12 months time?

Mark

Re: Servlet 3.1, Tomcat 8 etc.

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@apache.org>.
+1 To getting newer ideas in faster.

I guess the question to ponder is what are the future changes pending for 7?
What are the changes for the servlet spec?

I have a feeling that the servlet spec changes are more of a playground for
ideas which would bring about lots of change and potential reversions. With
that in mind - it seems like it belongs in the sandbox. But sandbox might
imply a private playground or its a ghetto (american slang) area of the
repository that only the brave should wander into. So to test servlet spec
changes, would it be better to create a branch called servlet3.1 so if new
ideas come into trunk - they might not conflict for servlet 3.1 concepts?
Then once servlet 3.1 goes into public review (or some similar status) -
then the changes get merged back into trunk and tomcat7 gets its own branch?

-Tim

Re: Servlet 3.1, Tomcat 8 etc.

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@gmail.com>.
On 07/26/2011 07:30 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> The Servlet EG is starting to discuss changes to the Servlet API for
> 3.1. It would be useful if the option existed to implement some of these
> changes in Tomcat trunk. The benefits of this are:
> - we can see how feasible the API changes are to implement
> - users can try out the new APIs (assuming we do a Tomcat 8 alpha release)
>
> Therefore, after the next Tomcat 7 release, I would like to do the
> following:
> - Copy tomcat/trunk to tomcat/tc7.0.x/trunk
> - Start making Servlet API changes to tomcat/trunk
>
> Assuming that there are no objections to that plan, that leads to a
> couple of other questions.

+1 for the plan.

> 1. Should tomcat/tc7.0.x/trunk be RTC or CTR?

RTC.

> 2. With tomcat/trunk becoming the basis for Tomcat 8, I would like to
> see earlier and more frequent alpha/beta releases than we had for Tomcat
> 7. That would increase the effective number of versions we are
> supporting. With that in mind, should we announce end of support for
> 5.5.x with the last release expected in ~12 months time?

It is used to build some jk stuff we should fix the JK stuff to use
6.0.x at least.

Cheers

Jean-Frederic

Re: Servlet 3.1, Tomcat 8 etc.

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
On 26.07.2011 19:30, Mark Thomas wrote:
> The Servlet EG is starting to discuss changes to the Servlet API for
> 3.1. It would be useful if the option existed to implement some of these
> changes in Tomcat trunk. The benefits of this are:
> - we can see how feasible the API changes are to implement
> - users can try out the new APIs (assuming we do a Tomcat 8 alpha release)
>
> Therefore, after the next Tomcat 7 release, I would like to do the
> following:
> - Copy tomcat/trunk to tomcat/tc7.0.x/trunk

+1

> - Start making Servlet API changes to tomcat/trunk

+1

> Assuming that there are no objections to that plan, that leads to a
> couple of other questions.
>
> 1. Should tomcat/tc7.0.x/trunk be RTC or CTR?

No strong opinion about that right now, but RTC should not be far away
(like at most 2-3 releases).

> 2. With tomcat/trunk becoming the basis for Tomcat 8, I would like to
> see earlier and more frequent alpha/beta releases than we had for Tomcat
> 7. That would increase the effective number of versions we are
> supporting. With that in mind, should we announce end of support for
> 5.5.x with the last release expected in ~12 months time?

+1

Rainer

Re: Servlet 3.1, Tomcat 8 etc.

Posted by Keiichi Fujino <kf...@apache.org>.

--
Keiichi.Fujino

Re: Servlet 3.1, Tomcat 8 etc.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 27/07/2011 00:42, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> 2011/7/26 Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>:
>> The Servlet EG is starting to discuss changes to the Servlet API for
>> 3.1. It would be useful if the option existed to implement some of these
>> changes in Tomcat trunk. The benefits of this are:
>> - we can see how feasible the API changes are to implement
>> - users can try out the new APIs (assuming we do a Tomcat 8 alpha release)
>>
>> Therefore, after the next Tomcat 7 release, I would like to do the
>> following:
>> - Copy tomcat/trunk to tomcat/tc7.0.x/trunk
>> - Start making Servlet API changes to tomcat/trunk
>
> Do you already have some changes on your mind?

Nothing major at this point for the Servlet spec but I am expecting that
to grow. The EL spec has also started discussing API changes that I'd
like to implement.

On the non-spec front, there is some refactoring of TLD/web.xml
processing I'd like to do to reduce the duplication of both code and
effort between Catalina and Jasper as well as some ideas I have for
improving the performance a little bit.

Mark

Re: Servlet 3.1, Tomcat 8 etc.

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2011/7/26 Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>:
> The Servlet EG is starting to discuss changes to the Servlet API for
> 3.1. It would be useful if the option existed to implement some of these
> changes in Tomcat trunk. The benefits of this are:
> - we can see how feasible the API changes are to implement
> - users can try out the new APIs (assuming we do a Tomcat 8 alpha release)
>
> Therefore, after the next Tomcat 7 release, I would like to do the
> following:
> - Copy tomcat/trunk to tomcat/tc7.0.x/trunk
> - Start making Servlet API changes to tomcat/trunk

Do you already have some changes on your mind?

I think making the branch can happen at any date. I do not think there
is a need to do this "after release".  The later it happens, the
better. E.g. in three months.

> Assuming that there are no objections to that plan, that leads to a
> couple of other questions.
>
> 1. Should tomcat/tc7.0.x/trunk be RTC or CTR?

+1 for CTR.

> 2. With tomcat/trunk becoming the basis for Tomcat 8, I would like to
> see earlier and more frequent alpha/beta releases than we had for Tomcat
> 7. That would increase the effective number of versions we are
> supporting. With that in mind, should we announce end of support for
> 5.5.x with the last release expected in ~12 months time?

+1

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: Servlet 3.1, Tomcat 8 etc.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
> On 8/1/2011 2:58 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:

>>> Ooh, so until the TCK is updated to tolerate Servlet 3.1, we will
>>> be unable to run TCK tests against trunk. That seems ...
>>> non-ideal.
>>
>> We won't get the TCK until after the spec has gone final. As an EG
>> member I should have access to it before then but I am new to this
>> so we'll have to wait and see.
>
> I guess what I meant was that we wouldn't even be able to run
> Servlet 3.0 TCK against our TC8 trunk because it would always fail.
> That means not being able to test the trunk against anything but our
> own unit tests for quite a while, which is unfortunate.

No.

> So, the TCK will bomb if we implement extra methods in, say,
> HttpServletRequest? Since containers are supposed to adjust behavior
> depending upon the version string used in the deployment descriptor,
> I had hoped that the TCK would be sensitive to that kind of thing.

No, the TCK will not "bomb" but neither will it pass. Tomcat 7 must pass
the Servlet 3.0 TCK so we can't change the Servlet API. Tomcat 8 doesn't
have to pass the Servlet 3.0 TCK so it does not matter if there are some
"expected failures" when running it against trunk / Tomcat 8.

Mark

Re: Servlet 3.1, Tomcat 8 etc.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Mark,

On 8/1/2011 2:58 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> Mark,

>>> None. The TCK will fail as soon as any changes are made to the
>>> API.
>>
>> Ooh, so until the TCK is updated to tolerate Servlet 3.1, we will be
>> unable to run TCK tests against trunk. That seems ... non-ideal.
>
> We won't get the TCK until after the spec has gone final. As an EG
> member I should have access to it before then but I am new to this so
> we'll have to wait and see.

I guess what I meant was that we wouldn't even be able to run Servlet
3.0 TCK against our TC8 trunk because it would always fail. That means
not being able to test the trunk against anything but our own unit tests
for quite a while, which is unfortunate.

So, the TCK will bomb if we implement extra methods in, say,
HttpServletRequest? Since containers are supposed to adjust behavior
depending upon the version string used in the deployment descriptor, I
had hoped that the TCK would be sensitive to that kind of thing.

-chris

Re: Servlet 3.1, Tomcat 8 etc.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: Servlet 3.1, Tomcat 8 etc.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Mark,

Re: Servlet 3.1, Tomcat 8 etc.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: Servlet 3.1, Tomcat 8 etc.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Mark,

On 7/26/2011 1:30 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> The Servlet EG is starting to discuss changes to the Servlet API for
> 3.1. It would be useful if the option existed to implement some of these
> changes in Tomcat trunk. The benefits of this are:
> - we can see how feasible the API changes are to implement
> - users can try out the new APIs (assuming we do a Tomcat 8 alpha release)

How much of this stuff could reasonably be built-into Tomcat 7 without
breaking anything? I ask because Tomcat will have to be
backward-compatible with earlier versions of the spec, anyway, so is
there a real danger to adding to trunk and continuing to release 7.0.x
versions from it?

> Assuming that there are no objections to that plan, that leads to a
> couple of other questions.
>
> 1. Should tomcat/tc7.0.x/trunk be RTC or CTR?

If development will stay almost entirely within trunk, I would say RTC,
but I'm not sure all development should be separated from the 7.0 branch
(see above).

> 2. With tomcat/trunk becoming the basis for Tomcat 8, I would like to
> see earlier and more frequent alpha/beta releases than we had for Tomcat
> 7. That would increase the effective number of versions we are
> supporting. With that in mind, should we announce end of support for
> 5.5.x with the last release expected in ~12 months time?

+1 to announcing end of support for 5.5 in the first half of 2012.

-chris

Re: Servlet 3.1, Tomcat 8 etc.

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Meta: +1 to starting this thread and its thinking this early.

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 1:30 PM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> Therefore, after the next Tomcat 7 release, I would like to do the
> following:
> - Copy tomcat/trunk to tomcat/tc7.0.x/trunk
> - Start making Servlet API changes to tomcat/trunk

+1.

> Assuming that there are no objections to that plan, that leads to a
> couple of other questions.
>
> 1. Should tomcat/tc7.0.x/trunk be RTC or CTR?

CTR for now.

> 2. With tomcat/trunk becoming the basis for Tomcat 8, I would like to
> see earlier and more frequent alpha/beta releases than we had for Tomcat
> 7. That would increase the effective number of versions we are
> supporting. With that in mind, should we announce end of support for
> 5.5.x with the last release expected in ~12 months time?

+1.

Yoav

Re: Servlet 3.1, Tomcat 8 etc.

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@gmail.com>.
On 07/27/2011 06:53 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 27/07/2011 16:48, Mladen Turk wrote:
>> On 07/26/2011 07:30 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
>>>
>>> 1. Should tomcat/tc7.0.x/trunk be RTC or CTR?
>>>

>> CTR
>>

>>> 2. With tomcat/trunk becoming the basis for Tomcat 8, I would like to
>>> see earlier and more frequent alpha/beta releases than we had for Tomcat
>>
>> Sure. This time we might have 8 ready as 3.1 spec is defined.
>> I have no problem if it's bound to spec RC cause it won't be
>> stable until 3.1 spec is frozen.
>>
>>> 7. That would increase the effective number of versions we are
>>> supporting. With that in mind, should we announce end of support for
>>> 5.5.x with the last release expected in ~12 months time?
>>>

>> After we release first 8 stable or starting from now?
>
> I was thinking announce EOL for 5.5.x now, with the actual EOL date /
> last release ~August 2012.

+1

Cheers

Jean-Frederic

Re: Servlet 3.1, Tomcat 8 etc.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 27/07/2011 18:26, Mladen Turk wrote:
> On 07/27/2011 06:53 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> On 27/07/2011 16:48, Mladen Turk wrote:
>>>
>>> After we release first 8 stable or starting from now?
>>
>> I was thinking announce EOL for 5.5.x now, with the actual EOL date /
>> last release ~August 2012.
>>

> OK, but IMHO we should add +12 months to that for critical security
> issues. I mean no bug fixes, only CVE's
>
> Possible?

Anything is possible. We didn't do that for 4.1.x but if you want to do
that for 5.5.x then there is nothing stopping you.

Mark

Re: Servlet 3.1, Tomcat 8 etc.

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
On 07/27/2011 06:53 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 27/07/2011 16:48, Mladen Turk wrote:
>>
>> After we release first 8 stable or starting from now?
>
> I was thinking announce EOL for 5.5.x now, with the actual EOL date /
> last release ~August 2012.

OK, but IMHO we should add +12 months to that for critical security
issues. I mean no bug fixes, only CVE's

Possible?

Regards
--
^TM

Re: Servlet 3.1, Tomcat 8 etc.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: Servlet 3.1, Tomcat 8 etc.

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Re: Servlet 3.1, Tomcat 8 etc.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 26/07/2011 18:30, Mark Thomas wrote:
> The Servlet EG is starting to discuss changes to the Servlet API for
> 3.1. It would be useful if the option existed to implement some of these
> changes in Tomcat trunk. The benefits of this are:
> - we can see how feasible the API changes are to implement
> - users can try out the new APIs (assuming we do a Tomcat 8 alpha release)

Thanks to all those that responded. I have been through the thread and
have reported the result of the discussion below.

> Therefore, after the next Tomcat 7 release, I would like to do the
> following:
> - Copy tomcat/trunk to tomcat/tc7.0.x/trunk

No objections.

> - Start making Servlet API changes to tomcat/trunk

Overall, there were no objections but there were some queries on why
this was necessary / could it be delayed / should it be on a separate
branch.

I agree that there is a risk that truck gets too experimental or too far
away from what everyone is comfortable with. There are three aspects to
separating trunk and 7.0.x:
a) spec changes
b) re-factoring
c) new features

b) & c) should not get too experimental. If we stick to small
incremental commits we can call a halt if things go to far and revert as
required.

a) might get experimental. My suggestion is to work with trunk for now
but move to a branch if there are any new features that require lots of
changes or something where the EG is undecided on and there may be
significant changes.

> Assuming that there are no objections to that plan, that leads to a
> couple of other questions.
>
> 1. Should tomcat/tc7.0.x/trunk be RTC or CTR?

The balance of opinion was for CTR for now. I suspect the balance will
shift towards RTC over time. I suggest we revisit this in ~3 months.

> 2. With tomcat/trunk becoming the basis for Tomcat 8, I would like to
> see earlier and more frequent alpha/beta releases than we had for Tomcat
> 7. That would increase the effective number of versions we are
> supporting. With that in mind, should we announce end of support for
> 5.5.x with the last release expected in ~12 months time?

No objections. There was a query about providing just security fixes for
a further year. My suggestion is that we announce 5.5.x End-Of-Life ASAP
with a date of 31 August 2012 with a caveat (as there is with 3.x, 4.x
and 5.0.x) that a committer may choose to release 5.5.x after that date
but that any release should not be expected or relied upon.

Assuming there are no objections, I'll create 7.0.x during the next
7.0.x release and announce EOL for 5.5.x in a week or so.

Mark