Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Bob Carpenter <bo...@engineer.com> on 2005/05/27 23:47:32 UTC

Help with webapp-based client.

Hi,

I'm using Axis 1.2 under JVM 1.4.2. My clients use JAX-RPC.

Could someone point me to a doc that explains the requirements to get an
Axis client to work from a webapp? Or, confirm what I have said below is
true.

The reason I ask, I am not able to get my webapp client to work. The same
app works from a standalone Java 1.4.2 client, but not when bound into a web
app - the web service returns [ns1:AddResult: null].

I have read the "Axis Installation Instructions" but it is written from the
standpoint of deploying an Axis service - I just want to be a client to an
external service. So, installing the Axis webapp on my app server doesn't
seem to me to be needed. My standalone client certainly doesn't have access
to an Axis webapp and it works, so simply adding the Axis jars to my
webapp's classpath (web-inf/lib) would seem all that's required. Also, I
don't see the need in adding Axis' web.xml tags to my web.xml file.

Thanks,

--BobC

RE: Help with webapp-based client.

Posted by Bob Carpenter <bo...@engineer.com>.
Hi,

I'm the original poster, with an update and another question.

Update: After much work I have tracked down the reason that my desktop Java
clients work correctly with Axis but my web app clients fail. The problem is
centered around classes that are in the j2ee.jar that ships with J2SDKEE
1.3.1. My desktop client uses J2SDKEE 1.3.1 j2ee.jar and WORKS; my web app
clients use the j2ee classes that the individual web app vendors provide - I
have tested Weblogic 8.1, JBoss 3.22 and JBoss 4.02 all of which FAIL. If I
place the J2SDKEE 1.3.1 j2ee.jar at the front of the classpath and start the
app server then the web app client WORKS.

So, my question - what classes do you suppose are in the j2ee.jar that cause
Axis to fail? I thought it was the xml-apis.jar classes, so I placed
xerces-2_6_2's xml-apis.jar in front of j2ee.jar in the CP but the web app
client still works. I am using the Axis src to generate my own axis.jar, so
I was able to track the failure down to method
DeserializerImpl.startElement( ) - the value property is what is parsed to
ns1:AddResult: null.

I don't know if I'm seeing an Axis bug or not - any opinion on this?

BTW: In the previous post I asked whether anyone knew of a good Axis client
doc - I found one: http://ws.apache.org/axis/java/client-side-axis.html

Thanks for any help!

--BobC