Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Werner Schalk <we...@gmx.de> on 2002/08/11 18:38:10 UTC

vhost_alias and logfiles

Hello,

how can I make a seperate logfile
for all virtualhosts I have
set up using vhost_alias?
Currently they all are logged
into acccess_log how can I seperate
it?

Is there a vhost_alias module for
apache2, too?

Bye and thanks,
Werner

Re: vhost_alias and logfiles

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
Werner Schalk wrote:
> Hello,
>
> how can I make a seperate logfile
> for all virtualhosts I have
> set up using vhost_alias?
> Currently they all are logged
> into acccess_log how can I seperate
> it?

There is no way to do this dynamically from within apache.  But you can
easily create a piped-log program to do it for you, or you can
post-process your logs to split them out:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/logs.html#piped

> Is there a vhost_alias module for
> apache2, too?

Yes.  You could check this in the docs:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/

Joshua.

Re: Vhost naming and IE6.0

Posted by DL Neil <PH...@DandE.HomeChoice.co.uk>.
Zac,

> On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 11:33:50AM +0100, DL Neil wrote:
> > This 'Favorites' behavior seems to override/precede Name Resolution!? So
the
> > interesting thing is that if you name a Favorites folder "Microsoft.com"
you
> > cannot use their own web browser to access their own home page!!!???
>
> IE does seem to take a lot of different approaches to dealing with input
in
> the Address box - to be honest, I'd never seen the Favourites search but I
> have certainly had "interesting" results when entering unqualified names.
>
> I would imagine that this behaviour applies only when the input is neither
> a well-formed URL nor a qualified hostname.  The rational in this case
> would be that a single word is unlikely to be a legitimate address so it's
> acceptable to take liberties during resolution in the name of
> user-friendliness.

Absolutely - and aside from typing-laziness, that's why I thought I should
set up my local/dev sites with 'illegal' names like "XML" and "Pit" (for
'sandpit').

However... (having way too much time on my hands - not) noting my earlier
short-cut and your (very reasonable) logic, I created a favorites folder
called www.microsoft.com (the FQDN this time), and guess what, the
'Favorites' thing still overrides DNS!

> > You are correct, this is a list for Apache (I am using Apache as my dev
web
> > server BTW) but I was hoping that someone who appreciates that web work
> > involves understanding both ends of the c-s transaction (and is more
> > knowledgeable than I) could point out the (weird) rationale.
>
> Sorry, I just didn't really know where you were coming from with the query
> - I guess I accepted such quirks as given a long time ago :)

Understood. I'm still tweaking my set up so that it will work (with obvious
limitations) whether I'm connected to a client network, my home/office
network, or not connected at all (portable). Accordingly I'm elbows deep in
the Windows implementation of DNS/WINS/hosts file - most unfamiliar
territory, very dark and gloomy. Hence seeing it as a 'Name' issue.

Appreciate your advice (and still chuckling),
=dn

Re: Vhost naming and IE6.0

Posted by Zac Stevens <zt...@cryptocracy.com>.
On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 11:33:50AM +0100, DL Neil wrote:
> This 'Favorites' behavior seems to override/precede Name Resolution!? So the
> interesting thing is that if you name a Favorites folder "Microsoft.com" you
> cannot use their own web browser to access their own home page!!!???

IE does seem to take a lot of different approaches to dealing with input in
the Address box - to be honest, I'd never seen the Favourites search but I
have certainly had "interesting" results when entering unqualified names.

I would imagine that this behaviour applies only when the input is neither
a well-formed URL nor a qualified hostname.  The rational in this case
would be that a single word is unlikely to be a legitimate address so it's
acceptable to take liberties during resolution in the name of
user-friendliness.

> You are correct, this is a list for Apache (I am using Apache as my dev web
> server BTW) but I was hoping that someone who appreciates that web work
> involves understanding both ends of the c-s transaction (and is more
> knowledgeable than I) could point out the (weird) rationale.

Sorry, I just didn't really know where you were coming from with the query
- I guess I accepted such quirks as given a long time ago :)

Zac

Re: Vhost naming and IE6.0

Posted by DL Neil <PH...@DandE.HomeChoice.co.uk>.
Zac,

> On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 10:46:19AM +0100, DL Neil wrote:
> > However when I set up a Vhost called XML (and restarted Apache, etc) and
> > asked for "XML", IE served up the list of favorites from its Favorites
> > folder of the same name.
> >
> > Work-around: changed the name of the Favorites folder, and things are
happy.

> > Is this 'expected behavior'? Can someone explain please? Have I missed
> > something?
>
> What you've described here is a behaviour of the client (IE), not the
> server (Apache).
>
> As for whether it's expected, you'd need to ask Microsoft.
>
> Hope that helps,

You are absolutely correct, it is IE/the client - I had compared with
Mozilla and didn't get the same result. I also modified the <Directory>
Options to allow index/file list display. For some reason I didn't check the
other way around, and sure enough, if within IE I enter "Travel" as if a
URL, there is no Internet site and no local/dev Vhost, but up pops my
Favorites folder of that name.

This 'Favorites' behavior seems to override/precede Name Resolution!? So the
interesting thing is that if you name a Favorites folder "Microsoft.com" you
cannot use their own web browser to access their own home page!!!???

You are correct, this is a list for Apache (I am using Apache as my dev web
server BTW) but I was hoping that someone who appreciates that web work
involves understanding both ends of the c-s transaction (and is more
knowledgeable than I) could point out the (weird) rationale.

You've managed to give me a good laugh!
=dn

Re: Vhost naming and IE6.0

Posted by Zac Stevens <zt...@cryptocracy.com>.

Vhost naming and IE6.0

Posted by DL Neil <PH...@DandE.HomeChoice.co.uk>.
I use short names for dev 'sites' on my local computer, eg "XML", for my
current tutorial 'practicals'. The existing other half-dozen+ Vhosts (with
short names, eg "HC") work just fine.

However when I set up a Vhost called XML (and restarted Apache, etc) and
asked for "XML", IE served up the list of favorites from its Favorites
folder of the same name.

Work-around: changed the name of the Favorites folder, and things are happy.

Is this 'expected behavior'? Can someone explain please? Have I missed
something?
=dn

httpd.conf excerpt:
### Section 3: Virtual Hosts

NameVirtualHost 127.0.0.1
<VirtualHost _default_:*>
    DocumentRoot "C:/OpenSource/Apache/htdocs"
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 127.0.0.1>
    ServerName ...
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 127.0.0.1>
    ServerName xml
    DocumentRoot "C:/Documents and Settings/Administrator/My Documents/XML"
    <Directory "C:/Documents and Settings/Administrator/My Documents/XML">
        AllowOverride None
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Directory>
    ServerAdmin XMLWebMaster@dande.homechoice.co.uk
    ErrorLog "C:/Documents and Settings/Administrator/My
Documents/WebWork/zLogs/XMLSite-error_log"
    CustomLog "C:/Documents and Settings/Administrator/My
Documents/WebWork/zLogs/XMLSite-access_log" common
</VirtualHost>
*****