Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Sudheer Puppala <su...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/30 11:22:37 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: WELCOME to users@httpd.apache.org

Hi

   I am java/flex programmer since 1yrs. I have a requirement of write a
handler at apache http server side using perl.

Scenario:

   1. My flex application request for a particular file to the apache
   server.
   2. The server upon receiving a request look for the mime type of the
   file. If that file mime type is video/flv or .flv I should write a handler
   for that.
   3. The handler should be in a position to call a java class. where I will
   decrypt the fille and send it back to the flex application.

Here my request is how can I write my own handler? where can I write it? and
as I am not a perl programmer, I am not getting the solution for that. So
could any one help me with an example.

Thanks
Sudheer Puppala

Re: [users@httpd] Re: WELCOME to users@httpd.apache.org

Posted by Jorge Schrauwen <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 1:09 PM, André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com> wrote:

> Sudheer Puppala wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>>   I am java/flex programmer since 1yrs. I have a requirement of write a
>> handler at apache http server side using perl.

> Hi.
> The good news is that it sounds perfectly feasible.
> The bad news is that you are on the wrong list.
> Go to this website : http://perl.apache.org
> Click on the link "Mailing lists" at the left, and follow the instructions
> to subscribe to the mod_perl Users mailing list.  Then repost your request
> there.
>
> One other maybe bad news, is that you'll have to learn at least some basic
> perl.  Writing mod_perl handlers is not very complicated, but does require
> some basic perl knowledge.  The people on the mod_perl list are nice, but
> not generally interested in teaching the basics of perl programming.
>
> (My own personal view is that perl and mod_perl are great, and that it is
> definetely worth the effort of learning to use them, if you want to do
> interesting things with Apache.  But then, many people would probably
> disagree. But then also, these are generally people who don't know perl and
> mod_perl.)

I completely agree with what André said, however the fact that you need java
to decode the file worries me a bit.
Maybe it would be more feasible to deploy a java application on tomcat to
handle serving and decoding the video content.

Just my .2 cents. If you can decode in perl I recommend you go the mod_perl
way!

Re: [users@httpd] Re: WELCOME to users@httpd.apache.org

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.