Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org> on 2001/07/07 06:20:53 UTC

Re: tomcat 3.3 proposals cleanup - next step ?

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, GOMEZ Henri wrote:

> Larry does a cleanup on Tomcat 3.3 project
> and remove many dirs in proposal but ....
>
> I removed all the proposal subdir from my
> local CVS and got all the proposal subdir
> trees at the next checkout.

In the Unix and CYGWIN versions of CVS (at least), you can do your updates
like this:

  cvs update -d -P

and you won't have these directories present on your disk -- although
there will still be some time spent scanning the server-side versions.

> All it used not less than 1.5Mb. What about
> removing (rm) also the directories in CVS dir to
> avoid grabbing 1.5Mb of subdirs :>

Doing this would violate a basic premise of source code control systems --
that you can *always* go back to a previous version (with a specific tag,
or as of a specific date).  It may be that a "proposals" directory doesn't
really qualify for being concerned about this (since the code wasn't ever
included in a production release), but it's appropriate to think very
seriously before doing such a thing.

> Henri Gomez                 ___[_]____

Craig