Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io> on 2015/03/19 04:32:14 UTC

Jekyll experiment

Anyone interested in trying a Jekyll experiment for our website? Extract the useful documentation we believe there is and try to make working on the site a pleasurable experience that is easy for users to contribute to?

I'd like to try this because after this last release I'm frankly tired of looking at our pretty awful website. It's ugly, noisy, unmaintained, hard to navigate and personally just makes me not want to write anything. I would like to like writing documentation again and I think a more standard tool like Jekyll will help. I honestly dislike doing core releases because I have to use the site plugin. I created it, I can hate it and I do hate it.

Even if no one answers I'll try this experiment because I think there's only 10-15 useful documents in the whole site so it likely won't take long.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder, Takari and Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
http://twitter.com/takari_io

There's no sense in being precise when you don't even know what you're talking about.

 -- John von Neumann

Re: Jekyll experiment

Posted by Petar Tahchiev <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hello all,

A few months ago I was inspired by spring framework and Oliver Gierke to
rewrite my whole documentation using Asciidoctor. Turned out the
asciidoctor-maven plugin has some limitations so I spent some time with
Herve Boutemy last weekend to discuss a few pull requests I created for the
maven-asciidoctor-plugin. Basically the bottom of the problem seems to be
the doxia sink API which sanitizes the produced HTML5 result and removes a
lot of the attributes. This is due to the fact that doxia does not provide
html5 parser so the asciidoctor plugin is forced to extend the xhtml
parser. So in terms of html5 some tags have different meaning. For instance
in html5 the <i> tag is considered an icon and what asciidoctor is
producing:

<i class="fa icon-note" title="Note"></i>

doxia sink api treats as italics tags and removes the class and title
attributes to become: <i></i>

The end result is that the documentation css does not style the output
properly.
The solution for me is to probably create an HTML5 parser in doxia.
Or even better: instead of

Asciidoctor plugin --- creates --> HTML5 --> give it to the HTML5Parser of
doxia --> give it to the sink API --> produce whatever you want (PDF,
docbook, Latex or HTML5)

maybe a better solution is to get rid of the sink API and keep it only for
backward compatibility, but instead allow any new plugins to directly
produce the HTML5 themselves.

> I agree Fred... the reports are very helpful.  I've always thought of it as
> handling two needs: "reports" and "docs"; reports basically working OOTB
> and docs as the team decides to hand-create.
>

> On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 10:43 PM, Fred Cooke <fr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Well, if you created it, then a personal thank you from me for that. I
> > would never use it for normal web stuff, but for the autogenerated stuff
> > like PMD, checkstyle, findbugs, cross ref code, javadocs, etc etc it's
> > GREAT at release time to give you a reference of what was. Or during dev,
> > when one feels like it, to create a comprehensive detailed view of the
> > state of the code that can be casually navigated through using a browser.
> > It has some SVNness in it, which I hate, so I invite you to continue the
> > hate for your own reasons :-D
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 4:32 PM, Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io> wrote:
> >
> > > Anyone interested in trying a Jekyll experiment for our website?
> Extract
> > > the useful documentation we believe there is and try to make working on
> > the
> > > site a pleasurable experience that is easy for users to contribute to?
> > >
> > > I'd like to try this because after this last release I'm frankly tired
> of
> > > looking at our pretty awful website. It's ugly, noisy, unmaintained,
> hard
> > > to navigate and personally just makes me not want to write anything. I
> > > would like to like writing documentation again and I think a more
> > standard
> > > tool like Jekyll will help. I honestly dislike doing core releases
> > because
> > > I have to use the site plugin. I created it, I can hate it and I do
> hate
> > it.
> > >
> > > Even if no one answers I'll try this experiment because I think there's
> > > only 10-15 useful documents in the whole site so it likely won't take
> > long.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Jason

> > > Jason van Zyl
> > > Founder, Takari and Apache Maven
> > > http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
> > > http://twitter.com/takari_io
> > >
> > > There's no sense in being precise when you don't even know what you're
> > > talking about.
> > >
> > >  -- John von Neumann

Regards, Petar!
Karlovo, Bulgaria.
---
Public PGP Key at:
https://keyserver1.pgp.com/vkd/DownloadKey.event?keyid=0x19658550C3110611
Key Fingerprint: A369 A7EE 61BC 93A3 CDFF  55A5 1965 8550 C311 0611

Re: Jekyll experiment

Posted by Jeff Jensen <je...@upstairstechnology.com>.

Re: Jekyll experiment

Posted by Fred Cooke <fr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Jekyll experiment

Posted by Aldrin Leal <al...@leal.eng.br>.
JBake supports both markdown and adoc btw :)

--
-- Aldrin Leal, <al...@leal.eng.br>
Master your EC2-fu! Get the latest ekaterminal public beta

Re: Jekyll experiment

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@mosabuam.com>.

Re: Jekyll experiment

Posted by Jeff Jensen <je...@upstairstechnology.com>.
+1 asciidoctor

Re: Jekyll experiment

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Jekyll experiment

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>.
Yup, personally not interested. Jekyll probably has several orders of magnitude more users. Now if there were a Jekyll compatible implementation in Java, sure I'd use that :-)

I just like that the tool is well supported and everyone uses it, and even if you don't want to actually install it there are tons of editors for the supported formats and you have Github pages.

On Mar 18, 2015, at 11:45 PM, Aldrin Leal <al...@leal.eng.br> wrote:

> you seen JBake? I wrote its Maven Plugin
>
> http://docs.ingenieux.com.br/project/jbake/
>
> --
> -- Aldrin Leal, <al...@leal.eng.br>
> Master your EC2-fu! Get the latest ekaterminal public beta
> http://www.ingenieux.com.br/products/ekaterminal/
>
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 12:32 AM, Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io> wrote:
>
>> Anyone interested in trying a Jekyll experiment for our website? Extract
>> the useful documentation we believe there is and try to make working on the
>> site a pleasurable experience that is easy for users to contribute to?
>>
>> I'd like to try this because after this last release I'm frankly tired of
>> looking at our pretty awful website. It's ugly, noisy, unmaintained, hard
>> to navigate and personally just makes me not want to write anything. I
>> would like to like writing documentation again and I think a more standard
>> tool like Jekyll will help. I honestly dislike doing core releases because
>> I have to use the site plugin. I created it, I can hate it and I do hate it.
>>
>> Even if no one answers I'll try this experiment because I think there's
>> only 10-15 useful documents in the whole site so it likely won't take long.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason

>> Jason van Zyl
>> Founder, Takari and Apache Maven
>> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
>> http://twitter.com/takari_io
>>
>> There's no sense in being precise when you don't even know what you're
>> talking about.
>>
>> -- John von Neumann

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder, Takari and Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
http://twitter.com/takari_io

A party which is not afraid of letting culture,
business, and welfare go to ruin completely can
be omnipotent for a while.

  -- Jakob Burckhardt

Re: Jekyll experiment

Posted by Aldrin Leal <al...@leal.eng.br>.

Re: Jekyll experiment

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
+1 to testing some solution that has a life outside Maven: this would be great
if we could replace Doxia+Doxia Sitetools+skins in the future

to be able to integrate it into maven-site-plugin, we'll need to choose a tool
that can be integrated in a JVM: does Jekyll provide such integration?

Regards,

Hervé

Re: Jekyll experiment

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
On 3/19/15 4:32 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> Anyone interested in trying a Jekyll experiment for our website?

I'm not familiar with Jekyll.
I've noticed sphinx-doc and asciidoctor.

I'm currently reading the jekyll documentation...

Re: Jekyll experiment

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi Jason,

On 3/19/15 4:32 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> Anyone interested in trying a Jekyll experiment for our website?
 > Extract the useful documentation we believe there is
 >  and try to make working on the site a pleasurable

> experience that is easy for users to contribute to?

That's one the reason i would like to do some experiments with it...

> I'd like to try this because after this last release I'm frankly
 >  tired of looking at our pretty awful website.

> It's ugly, noisy, unmaintained, hard to navigate and personally
> just makes me not want to write anything. I would like to like
> writing documentation again and I think a more standard tool
>like Jekyll will help. I honestly dislike doing core
> releases because I have to use the site plugin. I created it, I can hate it and I do hate it.
>
> Even if no one answers I'll try this experiment because
>I think there's only 10-15 useful documents in the whole site so it likely won't take long.

I'm interested, cause for example my blog is jekyll based and it's
really simple to write docs via jekyll....

Furthermore i have started to revise pages (at the moment) i started
with some mini guides as a start...like this:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-building-for-different-environments.html
(which really needs an update)

So would like to help...

Kind regards