Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Will Peterson <wp...@novell.com> on 2003/11/12 17:35:03 UTC

Is the current build of FOP broken?

Hi,

I'm having problems using the "snapshot" builds of FOP.

In the past I have used FOP 0.20.5, and it worked great! ... I used it
both from the command line, and by embedding the FOP driver into a
program I wrote.

Lately, I have wanted to upgrade to the latest in order to see the
latest RTF rendering. (Which I know is still in the works)

At first, I downloaded a snapshot of the latest code and integrated the
code into my program.  But noticed it didn't work (even w/ just PDF
rendering).  I also noticed the "embedding" examples don't work.  They
render PDF files, but the files can't be opened by Adobe Reader. (But
they work fine in the 0.20.5 release)

I also tried downloading the CVS build, but had the same problem with
the examples.

(I did however, run FOP from the command line successfully)

I'm just trying to figure out how I can determine if a build is "in a
good state".  I have tried reading through the bug lists but have had no
luck in finding the information I need.  I basically want to figure out
how to do a Obj2PDF example (embedding the code).

Thanks for any help, I appreciate it.

- Will

Re: Is the current build of FOP broken?

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
Hi Will

All examples using the Driver.getContentHandler() approach are broken at
the moment. I've managed to fix part of it but there is a remaining
problem I hope we can get rid off soon.

If you're interested in what's going on in the development please subscribe
to fop-dev and fop-cvs (both not very high traffic). You will be able to
track the progress. Obviously, we also appreciate a helping hand.

Thanks for the feedback.

On 12.11.2003 17:35:03 Will Peterson wrote:
> I'm having problems using the "snapshot" builds of FOP.
>
> In the past I have used FOP 0.20.5, and it worked great! ... I used it
> both from the command line, and by embedding the FOP driver into a
> program I wrote.
>
> Lately, I have wanted to upgrade to the latest in order to see the
> latest RTF rendering. (Which I know is still in the works)
>
> At first, I downloaded a snapshot of the latest code and integrated the
> code into my program.  But noticed it didn't work (even w/ just PDF
> rendering).  I also noticed the "embedding" examples don't work.  They
> render PDF files, but the files can't be opened by Adobe Reader. (But
> they work fine in the 0.20.5 release)
>
> I also tried downloading the CVS build, but had the same problem with
> the examples.
>
> (I did however, run FOP from the command line successfully)
>
> I'm just trying to figure out how I can determine if a build is "in a
> good state".  I have tried reading through the bug lists but have had no
> luck in finding the information I need.  I basically want to figure out
> how to do a Obj2PDF example (embedding the code).

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Is the current build of FOP broken?

Posted by Glen Mazza <gr...@yahoo.com>.
Are you downloading the nightly of the maintenance
build (0.20.x) or the development version (1.0)?

RTF has been updated in 1.0 only, however it, like
most code in 1.0, is not ready yet for regular use.

Glen

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
On Wednesday, November 12, 2003, at 08:35  AM, Will Peterson wrote:
> In the past I have used FOP 0.20.5, and it worked great! ... I used it
> both from the command line, and by embedding the FOP driver into
> a program I wrote.
>
> Lately, I have wanted to upgrade to the latest in order to see the
> latest RTF rendering. (Which I know is still in the works)

** SNIP **

> - Will

As far as I know, very few changes are happening to the 0.20.5 release.
Any patches you see that are applied and are not bug-related (like RTF
patches) are probably being made to the re-designed fop-1.0Dev release
(aka HEAD). Development on the 0_20_2-maintain branch (such as 0.20.5)
has stopped and only bugfixes are even being considered for that
branch. If you want to test the latest and greatest RTF patches, check
out the 1.0Dev releases. This shift in resources to HEAD was made to
maximize the resources in getting the 1.0Dev release "out-the-door.
--
Clay Leeds - cleeds@medata.com