Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by vinodkc <vi...@gmail.com> on 2015/04/16 12:36:38 UTC

spark shell paste mode is not consistent

Hi All,

I faced below issue while working with spark. It seems spark shell paste
mode is not consistent

Example code
---------------
val textFile = sc.textFile("README.md")
textFile.count()
textFile.first()
val linesWithSpark = textFile.filter(line => line.contains("Spark"))
textFile.filter(line => line.contains("Spark")).count()

Step 1 : Run above code in spark-shell
--------

scala> val textFile = sc.textFile("README.md")
textFile: org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD[String] = README.md MapPartitionsRDD[1]
at textFile at <console>:21

scala> textFile.count()
res0: Long = 98

scala> textFile.first()
res1: String = # Apache Spark

scala> val linesWithSpark = textFile.filter(line => line.contains("Spark"))
linesWithSpark: org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD[String] = MapPartitionsRDD[2] at
filter at <console>:23

scala> textFile.filter(line => line.contains("Spark")).count()
res2: Long = 19

Result 1: Following actions are evaluated properly
textFile.count() ,textFile.first() ,textFile.filter(line =>
line.contains("Spark")).count()
res0: Long = 98,res1: String = # Apache Spark,res2: Long = 19

Step 2 : Run above code in spark-shell paste mode
scala> :p
// Entering paste mode (ctrl-D to finish)

val textFile = sc.textFile("README.md")
textFile.count()
textFile.first()
val linesWithSpark = textFile.filter(line => line.contains("Spark"))
textFile.filter(line => line.contains("Spark")).count()

// Exiting paste mode, now interpreting.

textFile: org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD[String] = README.md MapPartitionsRDD[1]
at textFile at <console>:21
linesWithSpark: org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD[String] = MapPartitionsRDD[2] at
filter at <console>:24
res0: Long = 19

scala>

Result 2: Only one action is executed
textFile.filter(line => line.contains("Spark")).count()
res0: Long = 19

Expected result : Result 1 and Result 2 should be same

I feel this is an issue with spark shell . I fixed and verified it
locally.If community also think that it need to be handled, I can make a PR.

Thanks
Vinod KC

Re: spark shell paste mode is not consistent

Posted by vinodkc <vi...@gmail.com>.
Yes I could see all actions in Spark UI.

Paste command is returning last action result to console, that is why I got
confused.
Thank you for the help

Vinod

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.