Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Dong Lin <li...@gmail.com> on 2021/12/17 14:20:28 UTC

[DISCUSS] Releasing Flink ML 2.0.0

Hi devs,

Yun and I would like to start a discussion for releasing Flink ML
<https://github.com/apache/flink-ml> 2.0.0

In the past few months, we have made a substantial amount of improvements
in Flink ML. These improvements include FLIP-173
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=184615783>,
FLIP-174
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=181311361>,
FLIP-175
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=181311363>,
FLIP-176
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=184615300>,
and a few representative algorithms (e.g. KMeans
<https://github.com/apache/flink-ml/pull/27>, NaiveBayes
<https://github.com/apache/flink-ml/pull/32>, LogisticRegression
<https://github.com/apache/flink-ml/pull/28>, KNN
<https://github.com/apache/flink-ml/pull/24> and OneHotEncoder
<https://github.com/apache/flink-ml/pull/37>). And we plan to introduce
these improvements in FFA 2021 <https://flink-forward.org.cn/#agenda>. We
are hoping to complete the official release for Flink ML before the FFA
videos are released in January.

A few months ago we moved the flink-ml module from the core Flink repo to
the flink-ml repo. This allows us to decouple the flink-ml release from the
core Flink release. Prior to that change, the flink-ml module was released
as part of the core Flink repo. Its latest version in maven is 1.8.3 (flink
<https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.flink/flink-ml>). Given the
amount of changes we have made in this release, it seems reasonable to make
a major version bump and use 2.0.0 as the next Flink ML version.

Note that the upcoming Flink ML release depends on Flink 1.14.x as the
minimal Flink version.

If there is any concern, please let us know.

Cheers,
Dong

Re: [DISCUSS] Releasing Flink ML 2.0.0

Posted by Dong Lin <li...@gmail.com>.
Thank you Till and Zhipeng for the vote and the comments!

Based on the response received in this thread, we will go ahead and release
Flink ML 2.0.0 RC1 today.

Cheers,
Dong

Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org>于2021年12月18日 周六下午8:04写道: