Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com> on 2003/05/29 14:49:24 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Initial projects under WS-Commons

Folks,

To jumpstart the WS-Commons effort
(http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?WebServicesProjectPages/CharterForWSCommons), here
are two proposals for projects:

- WS-Security API (WSS4J? - http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?SecurityProposal)
- Schema API (XSD4J? - http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?SchemaAPIProposal)

sending an email) and/or sign up in the Wiki pages.

Thanks,
dims

=====

http://calendar.yahoo.com

Re: [PROPOSAL] Initial projects under WS-Commons

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
Ted Leung wrote:
> Steve Loughran wrote:
>
>> I have a little multicast discovery protocol lurking in
>> Axis/addons/discovery; an XML version of SLP with integration with
>> Axis to
>> autopublish all registered Axis URLs against their namespace URIs. If we
>> were to add, say XML-RPC support we'd have a broader web service
>> discovery
>> mechanism, though nowadays I am minded more towards Rendezvous as the
>> right
>> approach.
>>
>> Anyone in for adding a Rendezvous implementation in Java with bindings to
>> our WS stacks?
>>

> I like this idea, but the only Java Rendezvous stack (Strangeberry) is
> LGPL'd.

Didnt know about that stack; I have been trying to bring up a linux
version. From what I have seen of the source, mDNS is actually a pretty
simple protocol, with only the few timing rules to make the code complex.

It wouldnt take that long to write a new server impl, with instant bind
to Axis & the other stacks, so that our web services are instantly
discoverable. Interop testing is a different game.

The other thing to add for rendezvous support is seamless integration of
mDNS into the normal Java.net stack, so that URL lookup and socket
binding can use it all. That would be nice, but not necessary.

-steve

Re: [PROPOSAL] Initial projects under WS-Commons

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
Steve Loughran wrote:

>I have a little multicast discovery protocol lurking in
>Axis/addons/discovery; an XML version of SLP with integration with Axis to
>autopublish all registered Axis URLs against their namespace URIs. If we
>were to add, say XML-RPC support we'd have a broader web service discovery
>mechanism, though nowadays I am minded more towards Rendezvous as the right
>approach.
>
>Anyone in for adding a Rendezvous implementation in Java with bindings to
>our WS stacks?

I like this idea, but the only Java Rendezvous stack (Strangeberry) is
LGPL'd.

Ted

Re: [PROPOSAL] Initial projects under WS-Commons

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
Ryan Hoegg wrote:

> Forgive me, I am ignorant of Rendevous.  Got a URL?

http://dotlocal.org

Ted

Re: [PROPOSAL] Initial projects under WS-Commons

Posted by Ryan Hoegg <rh...@isisnetworks.net>.

Posted by Joachim Van der Auwera <jo...@progs.be>.
Great news, I am especially pleased about the WS-security project (and as
there have been more posts about this, I am sure many others as well).

Hope this gets started soon, then I will see if I can pitch in to make it
better.

Joachim