Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Matthew Hardin <ma...@hardin.net> on 2003/03/17 22:59:55 UTC

classpath

Is it possible to set a classpath element that can be
used throughout your build file? In other words, I have
several java and javac tasks within my file that all
use the same classpath.  Yet it seems I have to define
it for everyone. How can I consolidate this to one
place so I only have to make one change when it needs
updating?

Thanks,
Matthew Hardin

Matthew Hardin
matthew@hardin.net

Re: classpath

Posted by Erik Hatcher <ja...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
You've just touched on one of the nicest things about Ant... its path
handling.  Yes, Ant can do this easily, for example:

     <path id="common.compile.classpath">
         <pathelement location="${lucene.jar}"/>
     </path>

     <path id="common.test.classpath">
         <pathelement location="${junit.jar}"/>
         <path refid="common.compile.classpath"/>
     </path>

So common path is defined and then a larger path is constructed using
it (nevermind the property references for now, if you aren't familiar
with the ${...} syntax).

Then use either classpathref="common.compile.classpath" on <java> and
<javac> or use the nested <classpath> element with the same nested
<path refid="..."> construct as shown above to pull in a previously
defined path.

	Erik