Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2012/01/12 01:21:24 UTC

Possibly crazy idea about installable child instances

Geronimo needs some "special purpose" "little" servers related to the main one, for instance to run javaee app clients.  I'm thinking of implementing this as a karaf child instance.  I'm going to make a kar to install it (i.e. all the etc/ and such resource files will be in a kar under resources/instances/client/etc).

At the moment I'm thinking of just reusing most of the files from the main server and hand-editing them, but maybe it would be possible to combine things so that the server-assembly mojos generate something into the instances/<foo> directory and then the kar packaging step packs stuff into a kar.

I don't yet know if this makes sense... it would result in it being easy to make installable child instances with properties defined in the pom.  Putting the idea out in case I forget about it :-)

thanks
david jencks

Re: Possibly crazy idea about installable child instances

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Ahhh OK, catcha.

It's at build time and it's kind of "instance provisioning".

On the other hand, I plan to "store/package" a profile as a kar file,
and the profile is a diff on the "default" Karaf kar.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Possibly crazy idea about installable child instances

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
Hi JB,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi David,