Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "jalil@securia.com" <ja...@securia.com> on 2003/12/30 20:28:50 UTC

[users@httpd] handler lifecycle

I am new to Apache and am using mod_python. I appreciate any help with
the following questions:

1. How does Apache load/unload handlers when multiple requests arrvie. I
have read that a process is created for every request. So, does Apache
create a process (or is it a thread?) and then calls to the handler each
time a request comes in?

2. Anyway to keep some state around b/w calls to a handler? For example,
how one can keep a pool of database connections for an application
written in mod_python or mod_perl or any other similar modules?

Thanks,

-Jalil

Re: [users@httpd] handler lifecycle

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003, jalil@securia.com wrote:

> 1. How does Apache load/unload handlers when multiple requests arrvie. I
> have read that a process is created for every request.

No.  Only under very specific circumstances (CGI running under
mod_cgi, or a filter running under mod_ext_filter).

> 2. Anyway to keep some state around b/w calls to a handler? For example,
> how one can keep a pool of database connections for an application
> written in mod_python or mod_perl or any other similar modules?

You can keep a pool of database connections - and even share it
over different applications if they happen to share a database.
Simple implementations for two popular databases are mod_pg_pool
and mod_mysql_pool at <URL:http://apache.webthing.com/>.

As for mod_perl or mod_python bindings, I'd like to see them
but they don't currently exist - unless someone's keeping it
secret.

--
Nick Kew