Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Pernoud Aurelien <ap...@sopragroup.com> on 2004/01/14 14:35:32 UTC

[J1 LEAKS ?] RE: jetspeed process and memory leak

Paul Mansfield a écrit :

> typically, I tried a random variation of my searches on google and
> came up with an answer:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg111708.html
>
> these suggest that tomcat itself causes memory leaks, and is
> exacerbated by jetspeed's leaks.

I've just read this mail and see this :

> From: William Connor
> Subject: Re: Tomcat 4.0.x memory leak (not javac)
> Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 09:09:37 -0800
>
> We first ran into this bug when hot-deploying JetSpeed - about seven
> times would cause an out of memory w/ the default heap size.
> JetSpeed had so many leaks itself that we dropped down to bares bones
> test app with a servlet, but no JSPs or third party libraries.

Jetspeed has so many leaks ???
We've made some tests over here for potential leak and didn't find anything alarming.
The only stuff that was potentially leaking was the Tool object from velocity, staying in memory even after a request is done, we didn't really understand how to use it so we plan not to use it anymore.

Did anyone ever really meet those memory leak, or is it more the portlets developped by a end-user that could leak... ?

That's just cause I was a little afraid of those lines, but already seen so many people yelling at opensource projects saying it was leaking where it wasn't that I'd like any end-user real experience.

Tell me someone already had a jetspeed portal running for a long time ??? :)

Aurelien

Re: [J1 LEAKS ?] RE: jetspeed process and memory leak

Posted by Jun Yang <ju...@cisco.com>.
During the development of one of the many portals inside Cisco that are
powered by Jetspeed, we discovered resource leaks in the database PSML
manager.  So we wrote our own.  Now that portal has been in production
for 3 months and we have not had resources leaks any more.  Although we
tried hard to denote the new implementation of database PSML manager
back to Jetspeed, the fact that it has too many internal dependencies
and it only works for Oracle prevented us from doing so.

Jun

Posted by Stefano Bianchi <st...@softeco.it>.
I also experienced database "crashes" due to "Too many connections".
We solved our problem simply using Tomcat Database Connection Pool and
changing a bit our code.
You can find information at
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-howto.html#Database%20Connection%20Pool%20(DBCP)%20Configurations
Hope it helps somebody!