Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Terry Steichen <te...@net-frame.com> on 2001/10/27 03:55:28 UTC

XMLC Comments Plus Velocity XMLEasyBean

David,

I apologize for the delay in responding to your questions - but because you moved this discussion thread from the Enhydra list, I didn't get notified of your message (because I don't subscribe to this XMLC list), only learning of it by accident when I just checked the XMLC message archives.

What I actually said in my message to David Li was that 'all but the simplest changes require programmers' assistance with XMLC.  This is not conjecture on my part - it was readily acknowledged by Lutris' own Bill Karwin (http://enhydra.enhydra.org/project/mailingLists/enhydra/200110/msg00034.html) and Mark Diekhaus (http://enhydra.enhydra.org/project/mailingLists/enhydra/200110/msg00036.html).  They both acknowledged that XMLC is designed for programmers, not designers.  The simple fact is that, with XMLC, it is *very* easy to make minor changes in layout (though recompilation is required, of course).  But to go beyond that requires not just Java, but DOM/XMLC Java, which involves more than trivial Java programming skills.

The autocompilation feature you mention is great - but it, of course, pre-supposes that the programmer wrote the stuff correctly in the first place.

Like you, I too would be very interested in Lutris/XMLC reactions to Velocity's (more correctly, Geir Magnusson's) XMLEasyBean.  It seems able to do what the combination of XMLC and XSLT can do, but with one (quite simple) engine (which, BTW, works very nicely and easily with Enhydra) and excellent separation of programmer/designer roles.

Regards,

Terry

PS: I posted this back to the original Enhydra list because I think it has general relevance and I didn't want to cross-post.

==== On October 23, 2001, David Young said:

Hi Terry,
I've moved this back to xmlc.enhydra.org where it belongs...

I'm curious about your "simplest changes require programmers" comment.
We've been able to easily set up ASP customers in the past with the
ability to make changes to HTML, using GoLive or Dreamweaver to
rework presentation markup, moving the ID attributes around,etc ... then
Enhydra auto compiles and loads the new DOM templates.

I'm also curious if Christian Cryder has any comments on the XMLEasyBean
feature in Velocity...

David