Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org> on 2019/01/12 23:53:32 UTC

[VOTE] Release uimaFIT 3.0.0 rc 1

Re: [VOTE] Release uimaFIT 3.0.0 rc 1

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
Hi,

so... after a long while...

> On 25. Jan 2019, at 00:17, Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> wrote:
>
> API compare: the old version is 2.1.0 - should it be 2.4.0? (not a blocker)

Addressed by UIMA-6005

> checked api conformance - discussed in another note. (not a blocker here)

Addressed by UIMA-6006 - the isMultiValuedFeature signature has been restored.
However, the changes to the return values in CasUtil, JCasUtil, and
FSCollectionFactory remain. I am using the major version jump to get rid of
some sins of the past.

> saw that tests were running with NOP logger - not a blocker - because I don't
> think logging is being used. (not a blocker)

Addressed by UIMA-6004

> It appears that two issues fixed in 3.0.0 didn't make it to the fixed list:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-5348
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-5810
> (not a blocker ?  but may be indicative of some problem in the release process?)

These had the wrong "component". Added the "uimaFIT" component to both.

> It appears that the dependency declared in uimafit-core for "commons-logging"
> isn't needed? (not a blocker)

Addressed by UIMA-6009 - the Maven dependency plugin is now used to ensure
that there are not too few and not too many dependencies.

Addressed by https://github.com/apache/uima-uimafit/pull/56 (no Jira)

> in the source-release, the file api-change-report.html (which aggregates the 3
> generated ones) is missing (not a blocker)

Addressed by UIMA-6012

> There's a new project, "benchmark", which isn't described in the docs?  (not a
> blocker)

It is not meant for user consumption and not deployed to Maven Central.

So this should (hopefully) tackle it. While at it, I have made a few additional
improvements. Now I'll go on to prepare the next RC.

Cheers,

-- Richard

Re: [VOTE] Release uimaFIT 3.0.0 rc 1

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
Thanks for the thorough review. I'll go over these, check in particular
the remarks about the API changes and then get back here.

-- Richard

Re: [VOTE] Release uimaFIT 3.0.0 rc 1

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
signatures - OK
compare git tag with source-release: OK

   updated the clone I already had, then switched to the release/3.0.0 branch

build from sources: Javadoc warnings in several projects due to missing
parameters (not a blocker)

[...]

License check OK

All in all, I'm a bit on the fence for voting +1, due to the several issues
reported above; I'm kind of feeling that there are enough of the not-a-blocker
minor issues to warrant fixing them.

If you feel you want to proceed with this anyways, please say so, and I'll
probably vote +1.

-Marshall

Re: [VOTE] Release uimaFIT 3.0.0 rc 1

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.

[CANCEL] [VOTE] Release uimaFIT 3.0.0 rc 1

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
Thanks for the reviews and sorry for the long delay.

This vote is now officially canceled. A new RC will be prepared.

Cheers,

-- Richard

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Putting myself in the position of a user of uimaFIT (and UIMA) v2:

To upgrade myself to v3, for UIMA, I could migrate the JCas classes (if any),
and then, without recompiling, just run using UIMA 3 (because UIMA 3 is "binary
compatible" at the public API level (at least that was the goal :-) ).

I guess the uimaFIT v3 design probably requires some upgrade, and probably a
recompile, for v3.

I reran the build using 2.4.0 as the previous version, to get a sense of
backwards compatibility issues.  In general, it looks pretty good :-).

I see that ...internal.ExtendedLogger class was removed, and other classes that
might reference it were updated.  This seems unlikely to cause user problems.

One kind of change to CasUtil, JCasUtil, and FSCollectionFactory operations
might cause user problems unless the user recompiles the code - these are
changes which change the return type of select and selectFS, and create.

Other changes which could be a problem is the removal of FSUtil's
isMultiValuedFeature.

If you're happy introducing these changes, then this is fine with me (not a
blocker).

You might want to augment the "migration guide" chapter 11.1 to include the
removal of FSUtil's isMultiValuedFeature (and any other removed things a user
might be using) (or add that back... :-) ).

-Marshall

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com>.
It's most likely caused by the property:
<jiraVersion>3.0.0uimaFIT</jiraVersion>

This should use the internal jira id for the version I think.

Peter

--
Dr. Peter Klügl
R&D Text Mining/Machine Learning

Averbis GmbH
Tennenbacher Str. 11
79106 Freiburg
Germany

Fon: +49 761 708 394 0
Fax: +49 761 708 394 10
Email: peter.kluegl@averbis.com
Web: https://averbis.com

Headquarters: Freiburg im Breisgau

Re: [VOTE] Release uimaFIT 3.0.0 rc 1

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com>.
- jira-report in zip - OK

[X] +1 OK to release

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
starting review

Re: [VOTE] Release uimaFIT 3.0.0 rc 1

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
+1 from me to continue ... -Marshall

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com>.
If there is a decision that this is not a blocker, then you'll get a +1
for the rest ;-)

Peter

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com>.
Hmm yes, but it is empty in the downloadable zips, e.g., source-release
and bin.

Best,

Peter

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
works for me,

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com>.
- built source-release - OK

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
also missing in some other projects...

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
On 24. Jan 2019, at 16:52, Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> wrote:

> The uimaFIT examples tests fail to specify a slf4j logger to use, and the
> default supplied is a "no-op" logger, which discards anything that is attempted
> to be logged.
>
> Is this intentional?

The logging we used before defaulted to logging to the console.
I didn't explicitly add a logging backed for the unit tests since
I had nothing in particular to debug there I guess.
So it is not intentional, but IMHO it is also not a problem.

-- Richard

Re: [VOTE] Release uimaFIT 3.0.0 rc 1