Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org> on 2002/11/02 04:53:53 UTC

Re: Skinning

On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 03:24:29PM +1100, Peter Donald wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Nov 2002 15:22, Peter Donald wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Can someone tell me the status of skinning? Basically what I want to do is
> > develope a skin that looks like like
> >
> > http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/phoenix/
> >
> > And I guess I want to know how stable the dtds are for all the different
> > formats? Can I adopt the DTDs as they now exist and will they be stable or
> > should I adopt a stop-gap DTD and wait for the forrest DTDs to stabilize or
> > what?

I think the DTDs are pretty stable now.  Any backwards-incompatible
change would IMO be done in a hypothetical document-v12.dtd, with an
associated v11-v12 translation stylesheet.

However, the sitemap -> skin contract (XSLT parameters) is not stable.
In fact I'm going to break it later today (make it simpler).  Anyone with
a custom skin should also use a custom sitemap, and not rely on the
Forrest default.

> > Also is there likely to be too much change in the structure of the skins or
> > how they are installed or anything like that?

Nope.

> Oh and if it is all stable - anyone got any suggestions on what skin I start
> from?

avalon-tigris is apparently the most decent.  It's been somewhere on my
todo list to pull it into Forrest, since the only half-decent skin
Forrest has is 'forrest-site'.

Actually, avalon-tigris works (sorta) with Forrest now.  If you add the
following forrest.properties file to jakarta-avalon:

project.name=avalon
project.skin=avalon-tigris
forrest.validate.failonerror=false
forrest.validate.excludes=menu.xml
project.xdocs-dir=src/xdocs

Then type 'forrest'.. it breaks all over the place, but the docs that do
render look okay.

--Jeff

Re: Skinning

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Steven Noels wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> > Jeff Turner wrote:
>
> >> All: as a policy for maintaining/hosting skins, how about we
> >> have these two conditions:
> >>  - It must be used in a live, active project
> >>  - At least one Forrest committer must 'sponsor' it, volunteering to
> >>    update it when external files (skinconf, sitemap) change.
> >
> > +1
>
> +1
>
> >> Ie, I'd like to get rid of avalon-site, basic, jakarta-site and
> >> xml-apache-site, and just have forrest-site and avalon-tigris.
> >

> > We already had voted to remove those skins so IMHO you can just
> > kill them.
>
> +1
>
> > Just keep "basic" around, because I found out that it's used already to
> > understand how skinning works.
>
> ... and David kind-of maintains it.

No he does not. The Forrest project said that *they* maintain
the "forrest-site" skin and the "basic" skin. All that i have
done with "basic" in the past, was to try to get it into a
useable state. It has become way out-of-sync now.

I vote +1 on Jeff's proposed skin policy above (with Nicola Ken's
proviso that we keep basic). However, i do not personally
volunteer to maintain either of those two Forrest skins. That is
a job for all of forrest-dev. We must ensure that both skins
reflect the current state of things.

In another thread, some people said that they would work on
a table-less skin. Perhaps that should eventually replace
"basic".

We should state the skin policy in documentation somewhere.
Does anyone know where?
--David

Re: Skinning

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Jeff Turner wrote:
>

>> All: as a policy for maintaining/hosting skins, how about we have these
>> two conditions:
>>  - It must be used in a live, active project
>>  - At least one Forrest committer must 'sponsor' it, volunteering to
>>    update it when external files (skinconf, sitemap) change.
>

> +1

+1

>> Ie, I'd like to get rid of avalon-site, basic, jakarta-site and
>> xml-apache-site, and just have forrest-site and avalon-tigris.
>

> We already had voted to remove those skins so IMHO you can just kill them.

+1

> Just keep "basic" around, because I found out that it's used already to
> understand how skinning works.

... and David kind-of maintains it.

</Steven>

Re: Skinning

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 09:13:10PM +1100, Peter Donald wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 2 Nov 2002 14:53, Jeff Turner wrote:
>>
>>>However, the sitemap -> skin contract (XSLT parameters) is not stable.
>>>In fact I'm going to break it later today (make it simpler).
>>
>>kool. Do you think this is going to stabilize in the future? It would be kool
>>if it did ... and documentation accomodated the change ;)
>
> There's now just one {path} parameter.  I don't foresee any need to break
> it in the future, and if it ever does it should be documented.
>
>>>Anyone with a custom skin should also use a custom sitemap, and not
>>>rely on the Forrest default.
>>
>>Personally I think this may be a bit of a mistake. You want to make it as
>>simple for end users to get going. A default sitemap that sets up default
>>mappings but allows some easy plugin point (sub-sitemap?) would be easy for
>>us cocoon illiterates ;) (Though I am reading Carstens book and it rocks!!!)

>>>avalon-tigris is apparently the most decent.  It's been somewhere on my
>>>todo list to pull it into Forrest, since the only half-decent skin
>>>Forrest has is 'forrest-site'.
>>
>>Well I have got it 90% working. If you want I can send it along. About
>>the only thing that it doesn't support that forrest does is search
>>control and that should be easy enough to add I assume.
>
> Yes please - or check into jakarta-avalon.
>
> All: as a policy for maintaining/hosting skins, how about we have these
> two conditions:
>  - It must be used in a live, active project
>  - At least one Forrest committer must 'sponsor' it, volunteering to
>    update it when external files (skinconf, sitemap) change.

+1

> Ie, I'd like to get rid of avalon-site, basic, jakarta-site and
> xml-apache-site, and just have forrest-site and avalon-tigris.

We already had voted to remove those skins so IMHO you can just kill them.

Just keep "basic" around, because I found out that it's used already to
understand how skinning works.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Skinning

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.