Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Belov, Charles" <Ch...@sfmta.com> on 2009/08/13 02:11:50 UTC

[users@httpd] httpd 2.2: Conditional varying of expires time by file age

I would like to vary a time sent by mod-expires based on the age of a
static file.  The idea is that files in a particular directory are at
high risk for updating during their early existence but are unlikely to
be updated after that.

Pseudocode for the .htaccess file in that directory might be as follows:

ExpiresActive on
<IfFileAge "< 2 weeks">
	ExpiresDefault access plus 10 minutes
</IfFileAge>
<IfFileAge ">= 2 weeks">
	ExpiresDefault access plus 3 months
</IfFileAge>

Examining the Run-time Configuration Directives page, particularly the
conditionals, does not seem to offer anything useful.  Am I correct that
this would be a feature request?  Is there a work-around which does not
involve moving the files and breaking links from static Web pages?

Hope this helps,
Charles Belov
SFMTA Webmaster