Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com> on 2010/11/23 20:42:38 UTC

[CANCEL VOTE] 10.7.1.0 release

A heisenblemish has turned up in Oracle's testing of the first 10.7.1
release candidate. Those test results probably aren't visible externally
yet, so at the end of this message I will append the stack trace we are
seeing. The problem is harmless: shutdown logic complains about
something that is not broken. The complaint arises in defensive logic
which was put in as part of the 10.7 improvements to Derby's interrupt
handling. The blemish appears as a stack trace on the console during
shutdown.

Although Derby is not actually broken, users may not understand that
immediately. The problem may result in puzzled calls to tech support.
For this reason, I feel that we should build a new release candidate
without the blemish. Dag is working on that fix.

I intend to build a new release candidate on Monday. If you want to
include other fixes in the next release candidate, please check them in
by 5:00 am Monday, San Francisco time.

Thanks to Dag for jumping on this right away. And thanks to everyone for
testing the first release candidate.

Regards,
-Rick

-------------

Here is the exception we are seeing, culled from the suitesAll tests
which Knut ran on Oracle's 64-bit Java 6 VM on Suse Linux:

Exception in thread "DRDAConnThread_1393"
org.apache.derby.iapi.error.ShutdownException:
    at
org.apache.derby.iapi.services.context.ContextManager.checkInterrupt(Unknown
Source)
    at
org.apache.derby.iapi.services.context.ContextManager.getContext(Unknown
Source)
    at
org.apache.derby.iapi.services.context.ContextService.getContextOrNull(Unknown
Source)
    at
org.apache.derby.iapi.util.InterruptStatus.restoreIntrFlagIfSeen(Unknown
Source)
    at
org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.handleException(Unknown
Source)
    at
org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.handleException(Unknown Source)
    at
org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.ConnectionChild.handleException(Unknown Source)
    at
org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedPreparedStatement.closeActions(Unknown
Source)
    at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedStatement.close(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.derby.impl.drda.DRDAStatement.close(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.derby.impl.drda.Database.close(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.derby.impl.drda.Session.close(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.derby.impl.drda.DRDAConnThread.closeSession(Unknown
Source)
    at org.apache.derby.impl.drda.DRDAConnThread.run(Unknown Source)

Re: [CANCEL VOTE] 10.7.1.0 release

Posted by "Dag H. Wanvik" <da...@oracle.com>.
Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com> writes:

> Thanks to Dag for jumping on this right away. And thanks to everyone
> for testing the first release candidate.

Filed as DERBY-4911.

Dag