Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Javier Holguera <ja...@gmail.com> on 2019/11/12 17:40:15 UTC

Leveraging DLQ for errors coming from a sink connector plugin

Hi,

Looking at the Kafka Connect code, it seems that the built-in support for
DLQ queues only works for errors related to transformations and converters
(headers, key, and value).

I wonder if it has been considered (and maybe discarded) to use the same
mechanism for the call to the connector-plugin.put() operation. That way,
it would be possible for connector-plugins to leverage the same DLQ
semantics that Connect already implements without "reinventing the wheel"
themselves.

We have found ourselves in that situation with one in-house connector
plugin that we are building (HTTP Connector with extra specific bits). When
the connector plugin has tried X times to do its HTTP call, we want to
"offload" the record into a DLQ queue.

Any chances that this will be implemented?

Thanks.

Regards,
Javier.

Re: Leveraging DLQ for errors coming from a sink connector plugin

Posted by Javier Holguera <ja...@gmail.com>.
Any chance that somebody can shed some light on this?

Thanks!