Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com> on 2016/04/13 09:45:21 UTC

Code freeze?

I've heard several people refer to a code freeze for 2.0. Unless I missed
it, nobody has discussed a particular date for this:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SPARK/Wiki+Homepage

I'd like to start with a review of JIRAs before anyone decides a freeze is
appropriate. There are hundreds of issues, some blockers, still targeted
for 2.0. Probably best for everyone to review and retarget non essentials
and then see where we are at?

Re: Code freeze?

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.
FWIW, here's what I do to look at JIRA's answer to this:

1) Go download http://almworks.com/jiraclient/overview.html
2) Set up a query for "target = 2.0.0 and status = Open, In Progress, Reopened"
3) Set up sub-queries for bugs vs non-bugs, and for critical, blocker and other

Right now there are 172 issues open for 2.0.0. 40 are bugs, 4 of which
are critical and 1 of which is a blocker. 9 non-bugs are blockers, 5
critical.

JIRA info is inevitably noisy, but now is a good time to make this
info meaningful so we have some shared reference about the short-term
plan.

What I suggest we do now is ...

a) un-target anything that wasn't targeted to 2.0.0 by a committer
b) committers un-target or re-target anything they know isn't that
important for 2.0.0 (thanks jkbradley)
c) focus on bugs > features, high priority > low priority this week
d) see where we are next week, repeat

I suggest we simply have "no blockers" as an exit criteria, with a
strong pref for "no critical bugs either".

It's a major release, so taking a little extra time to get it all done
comfortably is both possible and unusually important. A couple weeks
indeed might be realistic for an RC, but it really depends on burndown
more than anything.

Re: Code freeze?

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: Code freeze?